JD 170 choking in cold weather.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bronko

I have a JD 170 with a Wisconsin engine that I have been using to move snow. It has started choking lately when using it after a few minutes and I need to keep choking it to keep it running. I had similar problems earlier in the season and a change of the fuel filter solved the problem then. The fuel tanks are full with non-ethanol fuel in the hope of keeping condensation down. I have added 3 cans of ISO HEET to the tanks and the fuel filter is clear. Does anyone have any ideas what else could be causing my issues? It continues to snow and I will need to use the loader again soon.

mrbb

how is the air filter, is is maybe packed with snow./ice?

and you can over do it with fuel additives and make the fuel go bad from doing so!

and since this is a gas motor I gather, has the carb been cleaned . adjusted lately??

OP
OP
B

bronko

mrbb,

Thanks for your reply. I have not checked the air filter recently, but will do so tonight. The engine seems to run ok for a couple of minutes after starting it then it starts choking. How do you recommend going about cleaning the carb or adjusting it? One thought I gathered from the JD dealer today is to blow air back into the fuel tanks from the gas line in case there is an intake screen or hose in the tanks that may be plugged up.

cdmccul

Blowing a few puffs of air backwards can be helpful, yes.

Many times, the "heat" additives are just alcohol... Which actually can cause the same problems you're trying to fix by not running ethanol fuel. Gas line antifreeze (and ethanol) are only effective 1) in closed emission fuel systems, and 2) when completely consumed and burned in that one sitting and then refilled with good clean fuel. Letting ethanol or alcohol fuels sit with the ability to exchange fresh (moisture laden) air with the atmosphere.

foton

anything over 10% total alcohol ruins all conventinal rubber products

Jim A

"Choking to keep it running"
Means lean no fuel .
Carb my have dirt varnish water in it.
I have a few Wisconsin s take plug out of bowl on carb blow out main jet behind hex plug with gumout and compressor.
A clogged air filter or icing up will cause rich flooding black smoke etc and pulling choke would make it worse .

mrbb

also,. since we started using ethanol fuel, many carbs have been about ruined with this crappy fuel
, if it was me I would remove the carb, and clean it completely and I don;t mean just spraying it down with some carb cleaner, I mean taking apart and cleaning all parts , removing all dirt and any film or coatings on parts!

and all the more so if machine sits often for long periods of time, from a few weeks to months!

that coating of varnish that builds on parts, from ethanol fuel can be HARD to remove, requiring special steps to clean(no shortage of ways online if you look)
and if your going to take the time to remove and clean the carb,
I would also HIGHLY suggest you, drain your tank, and inspect and make sure its clean!

as if you do NOT do this, and its a fuel quality issue here, after cleaning your carb, you can again have a DIRTY carb all over again, wasting the time you took to clean it the first time and need a repeating!

and my LAST suggestion is, if this machine sits often, is to ONLY use NON ethanol fuel in it, from now on, this will save you a LOT of issues from coming back,
YES it will be more of a hassle maybe and even cost a tad more to buy, but it will save you from having fuel issues again!
I NEVER use Ethanol fuel in any gasoline motor any more I have that sits for more than a few weeks, and since doing so, no longer have carb or running issue's, when friends of mine always seem too,!
IMO its well worth the costs and time to go get it to use!

to find NON ethanol fuel, there are many online links to places near you that sell it if you look!
here is one for you if you care to look!

OP
OP
B

bronko

Blowing a few puffs of air backwards can be helpful, yes.

Many times, the "heat" additives are just alcohol... Which actually can cause the same problems you're trying to fix by not running ethanol fuel. Gas line antifreeze (and ethanol) are only effective 1) in closed emission fuel systems, and 2) when completely consumed and burned in that one sitting and then refilled with good clean fuel. Letting ethanol or alcohol fuels sit with the ability to exchange fresh (moisture laden) air with the atmosphere.
Thanks for your thoughts on this.

OP
OP
B

bronko

"Choking to keep it running"
Means lean no fuel .
Carb my have dirt varnish water in it.
I have a few Wisconsin s take plug out of bowl on carb blow out main jet behind hex plug with gumout and compressor.
A clogged air filter or icing up will cause rich flooding black smoke etc and pulling choke would make it worse .
Thanks for your reply.

OP
OP
B

bronko

mrbb,

Thanks for your reply. I have not checked the air filter recently, but will do so tonight. The engine seems to run ok for a couple of minutes after starting it then it starts choking. How do you recommend going about cleaning the carb or adjusting it? One thought I gathered from the JD dealer today is to blow air back into the fuel tanks from the gas line in case there is an intake screen or hose in the tanks that may be plugged up.
The air filter seemed to be ok. I ended up taking off the fuel line by the filter and blowing air back into the tanks. This seems to have solved my issues for now.

mrbb

The air filter seemed to be ok. I ended up taking off the fuel line by the filter and blowing air back into the tanks. This seems to have solved my issues for now.
could you be getting vapor lock then?? maybe a faulty fuel cap?