It's Snow Time!

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

864wood

I have my first sizable snow job. It is a parking lot that will take some time to clear. This is just a general thread that is asking for sage wisdom, advice and stories. In Maryland we can go the entire winter with a dusting to gettting slamed mulitiple times with heavy dumps.

500K_773

Most important tip of all: WEAR YOUR SEATBELT
It is suprising what gets covered by snow and how fast your Bobcat can find it. Stumps, rocks, cracks in the pavement, curbs, and parking stops will abruptly stop your Bobcat. If you are not wearing your seatbelt, your face will quickly meet your windshield.
Another aspect of snow covered objects is damage. If you are not familiar with the road, driveway, or parking lot, ask the owner about important obstructions such as: wells, phone or power pedestals, etc... You can do $erious damage in no time at all. Make sure your insurance policy is up to date also. I was thinking of adding a disclaimer to a contract that I was not responsible for any items damaged which were hidden by snow and not properly marked. This probably wouldn't 100% relieve you of liability, but sure could make the owner think carefully before you begin the work.

OP
OP

864wood

Most important tip of all: WEAR YOUR SEATBELT
It is suprising what gets covered by snow and how fast your Bobcat can find it. Stumps, rocks, cracks in the pavement, curbs, and parking stops will abruptly stop your Bobcat. If you are not wearing your seatbelt, your face will quickly meet your windshield.
Another aspect of snow covered objects is damage. If you are not familiar with the road, driveway, or parking lot, ask the owner about important obstructions such as: wells, phone or power pedestals, etc... You can do $erious damage in no time at all. Make sure your insurance policy is up to date also. I was thinking of adding a disclaimer to a contract that I was not responsible for any items damaged which were hidden by snow and not properly marked. This probably wouldn't 100% relieve you of liability, but sure could make the owner think carefully before you begin the work.
As Team Fountain frequently reminds me when its hot out how nice his air condition cab is! I am looking forward to him gloating how warm his cab is while its snowing. I only have the velcro plastic suit for mine. Maybe the first snow job will pay for the glass enclosure. As far as hidden obstacles I plan on walking the lot ahead of time and marking all obstacles. Thanks for the hints.

Latest posts