Is an old 610 worth the price?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tambo303

Hi, I saw an old bobcat next to a house that looked like it had been sitting there for a couple years. I knocked on the door and they said that I could have it for $400. I don't have any pictures to put up but didn't look like it had any rust beside some light surface rust in a couple areas and there is still about 70% of the paint on it. Are Parts readily available? It looks like it has a four-cylinder Wisconsin in it and the guy said that his dad had it running but it had electrical problems and he had just left it there and didn't have the time to mess with it again. Who knows, it could be completely trashed. I've never messed with a bobcat that old before but it looks like it's built very similar to my OMC mustang 1700 that I have worked on quite a bit. I have a bobcat 453 that I use in my small landscape company which would probably out perform that. Is it worth fixing up to use or to sell at that price? I'm guessing with the clutch drive system instead of hydraulics it probably can't hold up or compete with my 453? Any info would be good. Thanks!

foton

at 400 I think you could not get hurt ,parting it out should make it back if need be. It is just a roll the dice moment if you got some time to fool with it.

flyerdan

at 400 I think you could not get hurt ,parting it out should make it back if need be. It is just a roll the dice moment if you got some time to fool with it.
There is a niche market for these older clutch drive machines, they sell for about ten times that in certain areas. If you have the space and time you can break even at worst or turn a tidy profit if you can get it fully functional.
There should be both service and parts books for this in the manual thread, I've got them on my computer and all my books came from the thread.

Hotrod1830

There is a niche market for these older clutch drive machines, they sell for about ten times that in certain areas. If you have the space and time you can break even at worst or turn a tidy profit if you can get it fully functional.
There should be both service and parts books for this in the manual thread, I've got them on my computer and all my books came from the thread.
I agree with all of the above. I had a 310, that used a clutch drive. If Im not mistaken, they actually used the same clutch as the bigger 610. I actually enjoyed using that machine. Only real reason I got rid if it and moved to a 463 is more auxillary flow, and diesel.
the only drawback that I didnt like about the clutch machine was the lack of hydraulic braking. Meaning, if the sticks were in neutral, the machine would roll at will. Beyond that, they were just as smooth and never lacked power.
The 610 will lift and push far more than your 453 and is a bigger machine, period. when you have a chance to use it, you may actually grow to accept it.
outdated...yes. more than capable of doing the job...yes. At $400 you really cant go wrong. Get it in the shop and see what it needs. Worse case you sell it for parts and make money. There are plenty of parts available for the old wisconsin engines. No real reason to replace it if it is repairable.
Im betting you can fix it and sell it for a reasonable price to make somebody a perfect farm or homestead skidsteer.

Latest posts