Insurance For Digging

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nailsbeats

What type of Insurance do I need before I start digging in yards? I haven't needed it yet, but with the purchase of my backhoe I know it is time. I already have jobs lined up for trenching, footings, and stump removal so it is time. Any suggestions please.
Nels

nobull1

In our area there is a contractors insurance pkg that most companies sell. They basically fill in the blanks and then come up with a figure(mostly based on anticipated income). Around here they don't/won't even want to insure your equipment unless you buy the whole pkg from them. The problem is they keep adding exclusions to the policy. Soon they won't insure anything but creatures from space damage, but only if they didn't get here by space ship. You will find it is a needed evil that you wont want to use, unless it is a lot of damage that you can't afford out of your pocket. It does give a little bit of security, but not much.

Tazza

Staff member
In our area there is a contractors insurance pkg that most companies sell. They basically fill in the blanks and then come up with a figure(mostly based on anticipated income). Around here they don't/won't even want to insure your equipment unless you buy the whole pkg from them. The problem is they keep adding exclusions to the policy. Soon they won't insure anything but creatures from space damage, but only if they didn't get here by space ship. You will find it is a needed evil that you wont want to use, unless it is a lot of damage that you can't afford out of your pocket. It does give a little bit of security, but not much.
Over here digging up a larger phone line will easily cost you 20K + We had a contractor dug one up near where i work, i think the bill was far more than 20K. We had no phones for 3 days.
I personally wouldn't dig without insurance!

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

Over here digging up a larger phone line will easily cost you 20K + We had a contractor dug one up near where i work, i think the bill was far more than 20K. We had no phones for 3 days.
I personally wouldn't dig without insurance!
Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I will have to go and check with my insurance agent to see how much of my money he will take for how little coverage.

perry

Thanks for the advice guys, I guess I will have to go and check with my insurance agent to see how much of my money he will take for how little coverage.
Here in Georgia we have one phone number you can call before digging, you give the address and they notify all utilities to mark with paint or flags where their lines run.

Latest posts