infrared temp device

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jerry

Anybody using one of these temp sensing devices and if so how do you like it. I am thinking of one mainly to check engine temp before and after thermostat. They aren't real cheap so I would like a opinion before buying one. Thanks for any input. Jerry

skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
J

jerry

I find mine vary handy, sometimes I question the technology but it seems to work pretty good. Nothing like know how hot things really are in different places to help trouble shoot problems.
It came from www.professionalequipment.com for @ $70. I'm sure there are better and/or cheaper ones but I'm happy.
actuallyits this one for $59
http://www.professionalequipment.com/infrared-thermometer-with-laser-guide-81-ds-350/infrared-thermometer/
Ken
Ken , it looks like it shines a laser like spot to aim it. How far away can you be and get a reading? I suppose the closer you are the more likely it is reading correctly from where the spot is. Napa has one here for $54 so I will go and take a look at them. I used the 665 for moving firewood today,just light putting around for maybe 20-30 minutes and it never came off the cold reading and it made me think it would be nice to be able to check temp to see if the thermostat was still closed. Thanks, Jerry

Tazza

Staff member
Ken , it looks like it shines a laser like spot to aim it. How far away can you be and get a reading? I suppose the closer you are the more likely it is reading correctly from where the spot is. Napa has one here for $54 so I will go and take a look at them. I used the 665 for moving firewood today,just light putting around for maybe 20-30 minutes and it never came off the cold reading and it made me think it would be nice to be able to check temp to see if the thermostat was still closed. Thanks, Jerry
The one i have was a cheapie, it also uses a laser to mark what you are reading the temperature of. It works from a reasonable distance, at least a metre and it still works, but how acurate at that distance? i have no idea. The instructions never did specify what distance you ideally should read your temperature from for the best acuracy.
I have used it for checking head temperatures, also my brother and mum did "borrow" it for cooking, any excuse to use a new toy.

OP
OP
J

jerry

The one i have was a cheapie, it also uses a laser to mark what you are reading the temperature of. It works from a reasonable distance, at least a metre and it still works, but how acurate at that distance? i have no idea. The instructions never did specify what distance you ideally should read your temperature from for the best acuracy.
I have used it for checking head temperatures, also my brother and mum did "borrow" it for cooking, any excuse to use a new toy.
Thanks Ken,that was sure quick. By the way, how come you are in the house at this time of the day instead of out harvesting trees?

OP
OP
J

jerry

Thanks Ken,that was sure quick. By the way, how come you are in the house at this time of the day instead of out harvesting trees?
My mistake Tazza I didn't look to see who the answer was from. But I do like the cooking idea, just recently we left the thermometer in the oven and they do melt. Jerry

skidsteer.ca

My mistake Tazza I didn't look to see who the answer was from. But I do like the cooking idea, just recently we left the thermometer in the oven and they do melt. Jerry
The farther you get away the larger the area it samples and takes a reading from. It has a scale that shows the diameter for a given distance. The lazer help improve you aim, but the real sensor fans out.
Just feel your top rad hose for the first few mins after your start it,if it starts getting warm pretty quick your duo for a new. stat
Mine warms up surprizingly quick, guess there is not much metal in those engines.
Not much wood moving here yet, its really wet and most are waiting for frost to tighten the mud up and save the expense of road construction.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
The farther you get away the larger the area it samples and takes a reading from. It has a scale that shows the diameter for a given distance. The lazer help improve you aim, but the real sensor fans out.
Just feel your top rad hose for the first few mins after your start it,if it starts getting warm pretty quick your duo for a new. stat
Mine warms up surprizingly quick, guess there is not much metal in those engines.
Not much wood moving here yet, its really wet and most are waiting for frost to tighten the mud up and save the expense of road construction.
Ken
It was actually 8am when i posted that :) pesky work *shakes fist* ooh well.

sledesigns

It was actually 8am when i posted that :) pesky work *shakes fist* ooh well.
Great little tool. I got a cheapy at Harbor Freight, like $40ish, they have a dot com. Has night illumination, US & metric scale & the laser for sighting. Never thought Id use it much but Id now put it in my top 10 most useful tools list. Shot the temp of the 6 exhaust manifold outlets to see which one was missing..(the one that was 100 degrees cooler) When pipes froze last year, just ran the laser dot up the pipes to find the cold spot instead of guessing. Hit the cold spot with a heat gun & 3 minutes later Im done. Checked around the house to see where the cold spots on the walls were & improved the efficiency. Tried different types of wood in the stove to see which ones were hotter, how much hotter. Borrowed my Dads trailer with iffy tires, overloaded it for 500 miles & 'shot the tire temp frequently to find my best cruising speed to keep the temps down to prevent a blowout. Darn useful tool, been a couple years, havent even needed a battery change. -Scott

skidsteer.ca

Great little tool. I got a cheapy at Harbor Freight, like $40ish, they have a dot com. Has night illumination, US & metric scale & the laser for sighting. Never thought Id use it much but Id now put it in my top 10 most useful tools list. Shot the temp of the 6 exhaust manifold outlets to see which one was missing..(the one that was 100 degrees cooler) When pipes froze last year, just ran the laser dot up the pipes to find the cold spot instead of guessing. Hit the cold spot with a heat gun & 3 minutes later Im done. Checked around the house to see where the cold spots on the walls were & improved the efficiency. Tried different types of wood in the stove to see which ones were hotter, how much hotter. Borrowed my Dads trailer with iffy tires, overloaded it for 500 miles & 'shot the tire temp frequently to find my best cruising speed to keep the temps down to prevent a blowout. Darn useful tool, been a couple years, havent even needed a battery change. -Scott
Yes it is high on my list too, I misplaced one, (left it in the skidder tool box when I was fighting a over heat problem that turned out to be a broken t stat stuck mostly shut) so I had to buy a second one a couple months laters. Thankfully the first one became found 6 months later when we put the summer equipment back to work.
Ken

OP
OP
J

jerry

Yes it is high on my list too, I misplaced one, (left it in the skidder tool box when I was fighting a over heat problem that turned out to be a broken t stat stuck mostly shut) so I had to buy a second one a couple months laters. Thankfully the first one became found 6 months later when we put the summer equipment back to work.
Ken
Looks like a good thing to have, never thought of all the other uses for it. Thanks for the advice. Jerry

Land-Tech

Looks like a good thing to have, never thought of all the other uses for it. Thanks for the advice. Jerry
I bought one to check my in floor heating. It also works good as a cat toy. Chases that laser all over.lol

OP
OP
J

jerry

I bought one to check my in floor heating. It also works good as a cat toy. Chases that laser all over.lol
I did get a temp thing from Harbor freight, $30.00 on sale on the internet. it works great and I can see I do need a new thermostat. Temp is almost the same a few inches above or below the thermostat.