IH 4140 - need to move dead machine

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

denders

I just picked up a IH 4140 this weekend. While putting it though its paces I seem to have had the engine to pump gear box connector shear. This is a pre-300 serial number unit so it still uses the plastic isolation connector which is currently finely distributed all over the hydraulic bay. The unfortunate problem with this issue is that the unit is half way down my drive and about 1500 feet from my shop. My question is there any way to put the drive motors into bypass so the wheels will turn? That way I can tow this unit back the shop. Currently I have no engine power being sent to the gear box so I have no hydraulics and no hydro drive.

Tazza

Staff member
The only real way is to drag it out, you can remove the hydro lines to the motors and roll it but honestly that can cause motor damage if you run it out of oil. If you do it this way, ensure its rolled SLOWLY you don't want to ruin your motors. If you can use say a hose to wet the ground to make it slide easier that may help you out.
Unless you can remove the motor from the chain case so it can free wheel, but i have no clue how its all connected.
Good luck!
Ps. i edited your title as it may help get someone with a better answer to your problem than i have.

mistersweeper

The only real way is to drag it out, you can remove the hydro lines to the motors and roll it but honestly that can cause motor damage if you run it out of oil. If you do it this way, ensure its rolled SLOWLY you don't want to ruin your motors. If you can use say a hose to wet the ground to make it slide easier that may help you out.
Unless you can remove the motor from the chain case so it can free wheel, but i have no clue how its all connected.
Good luck!
Ps. i edited your title as it may help get someone with a better answer to your problem than i have.
Denders, Did you get your machine moved? I had the same conundrum and I just had to slowly drag the machine. I'd love to see pics of the machine. Does it have the chrysler or isuzu engine ?

OP
OP
D

denders

Denders, Did you get your machine moved? I had the same conundrum and I just had to slowly drag the machine. I'd love to see pics of the machine. Does it have the chrysler or isuzu engine ?
No I have not yet moved the machine. I was in the middle of clearing snow when it up and died so currently I am waiting for some warmer weather. After getting the seat plate out and looking around I was hoping to find the isolation insert that sits between the engine and the pump gearbox. It would seem that the insert is no longer available I have tried several places in the US and here is Canada and no one is able to find one anywhere. With the plate I think its an easy fix I would only have to sling the pump gearbox. Once I get the unit thawed out and into some better light I will take a few picures for you to see. This machine currently has the Isuzu diesel engine but my understanding was that it was the gas engine and a previous owner repowered it with the C201 a few years back.

mistersweeper

No I have not yet moved the machine. I was in the middle of clearing snow when it up and died so currently I am waiting for some warmer weather. After getting the seat plate out and looking around I was hoping to find the isolation insert that sits between the engine and the pump gearbox. It would seem that the insert is no longer available I have tried several places in the US and here is Canada and no one is able to find one anywhere. With the plate I think its an easy fix I would only have to sling the pump gearbox. Once I get the unit thawed out and into some better light I will take a few picures for you to see. This machine currently has the Isuzu diesel engine but my understanding was that it was the gas engine and a previous owner repowered it with the C201 a few years back.
If you don't mind me asking , what did you pay for the machine ? Parts availability are sob to try to find. Wreckers are probably the only source for parts. If you need any hydraulic component repairs, loader parts source is your best bet. It cost me $1000.00 for a piston pump as opposed to $4500.00 here in Saskatchewan.