I need an Engine Turning Tool

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RonRock

Looks like I have to pull my injector pump out of my 1845C. To do that I need the Engine Turning Tool, and the tool that presses the shaft out of the gear. Anybody want to sell one? Suggestions where to buy one?

Phil314

Amazon has a bunch of the engine 'barring' tools at a resonable price. They fit the dodge 5.9 and the 1845c 3.9 4b. I'm guessing they also have the press tool, but I've never looked it up.

Phil314

Amazon has a bunch of the engine 'barring' tools at a resonable price. They fit the dodge 5.9 and the 1845c 3.9 4b. I'm guessing they also have the press tool, but I've never looked it up.
https://www.amazon.com/cowlboy-Injection-Removal-Installer-Rotating/dp/B07WWDDB7K

OP
OP
R

RonRock

https://www.amazon.com/cowlboy-Injection-Removal-Installer-Rotating/dp/B07WWDDB7K
Thanks Phil314, I had not found that particular item but I have found others similar. I did not see any that list the Cummins 4-390 engine. So are you saying that the 4-390 is a 5.9L? Great find if it will work.

OP
OP
R

RonRock

Thanks Phil314, I had not found that particular item but I have found others similar. I did not see any that list the Cummins 4-390 engine. So are you saying that the 4-390 is a 5.9L? Great find if it will work.
Edit,, engine size you mention is actually 3.9 4b. Sorry unable to edit my first reply.

Phil314

Edit,, engine size you mention is actually 3.9 4b. Sorry unable to edit my first reply.
Yes, the 4b 3.9L is just another name for the 4-390, cummins 4 cylinder. 5.9L (6b) is the cummins 6 cylinder used in dodge trucks. The 2 engines have a lot of similarities.

OP
OP
R

RonRock

Thanks again. Ordered one.
Received the tool. Seems to work as expected. I didn't have time to actually remove the IP, but I did put the tool in and make sure that it did engage and turn the flywheel. It did. Very good help. Just thought I'd give thanks and confirmation in case someone else is looking for the same. Cheers.

OP
OP
R

RonRock

Received the tool. Seems to work as expected. I didn't have time to actually remove the IP, but I did put the tool in and make sure that it did engage and turn the flywheel. It did. Very good help. Just thought I'd give thanks and confirmation in case someone else is looking for the same. Cheers.
Well I thought I'd report back. The tool worked perfectly well. Took a lot of turning to get to the right place TDC, but that is just a case of the flywheel diameter and short room for the ratchet movement. The other part of the tool in the link did not work at all. The disk is too large to actually press on the shaft because of the size of the hole in the cover. I was able to use the bolts that were in the kit and my steering wheel puller to pop the shaft. Very easy. Actually the hardest part of the job was getting the lines and bolts that hold the pump to the engine together was the hard part.