I DID IT!!! MY 773 PROJECT

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Team Craig

I'm excited, I finally got the excessive play out of the of the steering and the unit no longer creeps. Tazza was right, I was not aware that the Bobcat people would be so helpful on working on a unit. One of the techs explained how these little blocks get wear on them and that they can be flipped as well as a basic explanation on how to adjust the steering. Last night it took me over 2 hours to get this thing adjusted right. Now it is spot on. The one thing I don't under stand is why did Bobcat have adjustment slots at 3 of 4 bolt areas on the plate the blocks attach to? I flipped the blocks like the tech explained - at 2000 hours they had excessive grooves. After much time I finally got out the diegrinder and cut a slot in the left rear hole as well. Ten minutes after cutting this slot into the bracket I was done. Has anyone else had to notch out this 4th hole in order to get there unit adjusted right? With it on jackstands while running the tires no longer want to move and I cannot tell you how much better the steering now feels...

Tazza

Staff member
Glad you got it sorted out.
The one you have adjustment of only 1 bolt is the one you are meant to do first. This means you don't need to adjust both top and bottom. Once this one is done you need full adjustment of both top and bottom of the other one.
Not sure if any of that made sense but it was just how you adjusted it. You should have started with adjusting the one that had 1 bolt hole and 1 slot then done the other one. Either way you have it sorted out now so it doesn't matter.

OP
OP
T

Team Craig

Glad you got it sorted out.
The one you have adjustment of only 1 bolt is the one you are meant to do first. This means you don't need to adjust both top and bottom. Once this one is done you need full adjustment of both top and bottom of the other one.
Not sure if any of that made sense but it was just how you adjusted it. You should have started with adjusting the one that had 1 bolt hole and 1 slot then done the other one. Either way you have it sorted out now so it doesn't matter.
Hello Tazza, I did adjust that side first and then after goofing around forever I figured out that the back part of the lever/pivet would not touch with out grinding that hole out. Hey I have a question for you. Is it is common for the chain case plug to leak? I have black oil leaking and it does not seem to be from the engine. The Hyd. fluid is clear/new so I assume it must be from the chain case drain plug since it is coming from the back bottom area that has the cover. Is there an oring at the plug or just a washer for the seal?

Tazza

Staff member
Hello Tazza, I did adjust that side first and then after goofing around forever I figured out that the back part of the lever/pivet would not touch with out grinding that hole out. Hey I have a question for you. Is it is common for the chain case plug to leak? I have black oil leaking and it does not seem to be from the engine. The Hyd. fluid is clear/new so I assume it must be from the chain case drain plug since it is coming from the back bottom area that has the cover. Is there an oring at the plug or just a washer for the seal?
I'm not sure where the chain case drain hole is on your machine, but if the oil is black and its coming from the chain case thats not good. It should be nice and clean, not black.
The plugs on the chain case are usually sealed with a copper washer or a taper. Either way, it will be an easy fix.

Kudagra

I'm not sure where the chain case drain hole is on your machine, but if the oil is black and its coming from the chain case thats not good. It should be nice and clean, not black.
The plugs on the chain case are usually sealed with a copper washer or a taper. Either way, it will be an easy fix.
773s use a rubber grommit and steel plug under the machine. If you lay down in the back and look where the flat area slopes up there should be a plate with 3 bolts in it. Pull that off and dig out all the mud. There will be 2 holes. Towards the FRONT is the chain case plug. Wipe it off. If its leaking go get a new grommit and plug (its cheap). Grease up the rubber part. THEN yank the old one out (Rubber and all), stick your finger over the hole. INstall the NEW rubber. Stick your finger over the hole. Quickly put the plug in the rubber hole. Hammer it in. Done without making TOO much mess. If you look towards the BACK of the machine you will see the SAME looking plug and grommit but in a plastic thing. That is the fuel tank. Dont poke a hole. If you pull out the 3/4" pipe plug in the FRONT OF THE MACHINE and oil comes out and your hyd tank is low....you probably have carrier seals out...DOH.