I can't lift and dump at the same time....

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cchardwick

Bear with me here, I'm operating my first skid steer and this is only my second week driving it..... I have a CASE 1737 made back in the mid 1970s, and when I lift the bucket I can't lift and tilt the bucket at the same time. I can either lift or tilt, one or the other, but not both at the same time. Is this how all skid steers operate? It kinda slows me down when I bring a bucket full of snow up to the top of the pile cause I have to lift a little, dump a little, lift a little more, dump a little more... you get the picture. I don't want to lift the whole thing way up for fear of tipping over without dumping some on the way up. However, I can lower the arms and move the bucket up (or down) at the same time.

Tazza

Staff member
As far as i'm aware that isn't normal, my bobcat can lift, tilt and open the 4 in 1 bucket all at the same time without any problems.
The only time one function will not work when another is in use is when a ram bottoms out and the oil passes over the relief valve.

OP
OP
cchardwick

cchardwick

As far as i'm aware that isn't normal, my bobcat can lift, tilt and open the 4 in 1 bucket all at the same time without any problems.
The only time one function will not work when another is in use is when a ram bottoms out and the oil passes over the relief valve.
What part of my hydraulics is not working properly? Do I need to rebuild a component or replace? It sure would save time if this was working right.

skidsteer.ca

What part of my hydraulics is not working properly? Do I need to rebuild a component or replace? It sure would save time if this was working right.
I'm wondering if that old of a machine just has kinda a small hyd pump.
Even the new machines supply the lift, dump and quick couplers from one pump.
The oil comes to the control valve from the pump and they goes through one control to the 2nd and to the 3rd. So if you have the lift valve fully in the lift position, any of the functions after that have no oil left to operate them. They may move the the direction that gravity pulls them, but there is no oil left to power them.
I'm not sure weather your tilt or your lift is first in line, but if your operating the 2nd function, then you use the first as well, you reduce or stop (if you fully open the first) the oil going to #2.
Does that make any sense?
Ken

sterlclan

I'm wondering if that old of a machine just has kinda a small hyd pump.
Even the new machines supply the lift, dump and quick couplers from one pump.
The oil comes to the control valve from the pump and they goes through one control to the 2nd and to the 3rd. So if you have the lift valve fully in the lift position, any of the functions after that have no oil left to operate them. They may move the the direction that gravity pulls them, but there is no oil left to power them.
I'm not sure weather your tilt or your lift is first in line, but if your operating the 2nd function, then you use the first as well, you reduce or stop (if you fully open the first) the oil going to #2.
Does that make any sense?
Ken
kinda sounds like a weak pump or clogged filter. you should be able to do both. does it groan or make funny noises when you do it? .Jeff

OP
OP
cchardwick

cchardwick

kinda sounds like a weak pump or clogged filter. you should be able to do both. does it groan or make funny noises when you do it? .Jeff
It fixed itself! Someone mentioned that I should try to lift and dump real slow to see if it works at all. I did that and at first it would lift and dump at the same time but only move real slow but got faster the more I did it. Then after moving snow for about a half hour the lifting/dumping got faster, my jittering (cavitation) in the lift went away and my pump quieted down, I guess it was loud and I wasn't aware of it (I'm a newbie when it comes to skid steers). Perhaps something was stuck and it just needed some gentle lift/dump action to clear it. It still seems like it still lifts/dumps pretty slow but maybe that's how it's supposed to be.

skidsteer.ca

It fixed itself! Someone mentioned that I should try to lift and dump real slow to see if it works at all. I did that and at first it would lift and dump at the same time but only move real slow but got faster the more I did it. Then after moving snow for about a half hour the lifting/dumping got faster, my jittering (cavitation) in the lift went away and my pump quieted down, I guess it was loud and I wasn't aware of it (I'm a newbie when it comes to skid steers). Perhaps something was stuck and it just needed some gentle lift/dump action to clear it. It still seems like it still lifts/dumps pretty slow but maybe that's how it's supposed to be.
It may have been because your hydraulic oil slowly warmed up and thined out as you used the unit, how cold was it that day, Will your hyd oil still flow or drip off the stick when its cold.
Do you park inside a heated area or out in the cold?
Ken