hydrostatic fluid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

beausmith

what is the diffrence in hydraulic fluid and hydrastatic fluid. can you put hydraulic fluid in a bobcat T190?

Tazza

Staff member
Normal hydraulic fluid is too thin, it needs to be a heavier weight oil for the hydrostatic pumps/motors. Thats why you will see a lot of people using 20W50 etc engine oil.

OP
OP
B

beausmith

Normal hydraulic fluid is too thin, it needs to be a heavier weight oil for the hydrostatic pumps/motors. Thats why you will see a lot of people using 20W50 etc engine oil.
what Hydraulic fluid or hydrostatic fluid would be safe to put in a 2003 T190

Tazza

Staff member
what Hydraulic fluid or hydrostatic fluid would be safe to put in a 2003 T190
My manual tells me that any engine oil will work, i have run 20W50, 15W30 all without any problems at all. I was told that 15W40 diesel engine grade is fully compatible with any hydraulic oil. If it was me, i'd top it off with 15W40 diesel engine grade oil, i personally use castrol RX super.

sawright

My manual tells me that any engine oil will work, i have run 20W50, 15W30 all without any problems at all. I was told that 15W40 diesel engine grade is fully compatible with any hydraulic oil. If it was me, i'd top it off with 15W40 diesel engine grade oil, i personally use castrol RX super.
My Bobcat dealer said that any good ISO46 grade hydraulic oil can be used, which was confirmed by a good friend who has been running a hydraulic design business for 30 or so years. The dealer also said that the oil they sell is just ISO46 with some additives (I think he said sulfur and zinc?) as a wear preventative, which is their claim to fame. He did not recommend using engine oil even though they did in the past. I'm not sure if there is a difference between older and newer machines.

sterlclan

My Bobcat dealer said that any good ISO46 grade hydraulic oil can be used, which was confirmed by a good friend who has been running a hydraulic design business for 30 or so years. The dealer also said that the oil they sell is just ISO46 with some additives (I think he said sulfur and zinc?) as a wear preventative, which is their claim to fame. He did not recommend using engine oil even though they did in the past. I'm not sure if there is a difference between older and newer machines.
an old timer told me once "in a pinch any lubricant is better than no lubricant...." I put 4 gallons of water in the crankcase of a buddy's Mazda pickup way in the woods when he punched a hole in the oil pan......we got home but the truck died LOOK MA NO WALKING........