Hydraulic fluid

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

carl johansson

OK Fellas, I need to replace all of my fluid in my 763. as near as I can tell thats 8.7 gallons worth. I can get Bobcat fluid 5 gallons for 66 bucks - so about 130 bucks for a refill with a few gallons to spare . What are you guys running ? Certainly Bobcat stuff isn't the only option! someone give me a grade or viscosity number - or a brand? Carl Johansson

farmboy55

Well Carl sad to say but you have opened a big subject, with a lot of answer's and none of them the wrong one. I myself go to my local auto parts place, Tractor Supply or Wal Mart (not all of them carry it) I run AW 32 hyd oil. Just purchase 10 gal. today for $33. per 5 gal. The AW stands for anti wear and more than likely came from the same place Bobcat got it.
That's my 2 bit's worth. dennis

scsindust

Well Carl sad to say but you have opened a big subject, with a lot of answer's and none of them the wrong one. I myself go to my local auto parts place, Tractor Supply or Wal Mart (not all of them carry it) I run AW 32 hyd oil. Just purchase 10 gal. today for $33. per 5 gal. The AW stands for anti wear and more than likely came from the same place Bobcat got it.
That's my 2 bit's worth. dennis
I was always told it was AW46...?

kelly_b

Oil is oil. I just go out there and buy the cheapest shit I can find ... pardon my French. Afterall, it's hydraulic oil, not like it's being used to lubricate an engine. It has a whole different purpose than engine oil. That's my $0.02, but I know A LOT of people will disagree with me.

Tazza

Staff member
Oil is oil. I just go out there and buy the cheapest shit I can find ... pardon my French. Afterall, it's hydraulic oil, not like it's being used to lubricate an engine. It has a whole different purpose than engine oil. That's my $0.02, but I know A LOT of people will disagree with me.
To an extent i agree. as long as the oil is around the 10W30/20W50 weight you can't go wrong. If you just get hydraulic oil thats like the consistency of water you will kill your pumps. It must be heavy enough to still lubricate when it warms up and thins out.
I run 20W50 or 15W40, whatever is cheap at the time. The 15W40 is good because its what i use in the engine so its always available.

Stephend

Fluild flows at various temperatures are based on viscosity and viscosity is compared at these temperatures; 40 C and and 100 C measured in cST. Thus at 40 C information is provided as to how the oil will flow at low temps and at 100 C the imformation is provided how it may perfrom at higher temps. 40 C equals 104 F and 100 C equals 212 F. Hydraulic Oil AW 32 AW 64 Motor Oil 10w40 and 10w50 cST @ 40 C 32 64 90 170 cST @ 100 C 5.4 6.8 14.1 18.5 There are other factors to consider on oil used in hydraullic system. one I would be concerned with would be the effect of motor oil on hydraulic system seals. motor oils have various inhibitors designed for use in conbustion motors. just my thoughts.

BobCat

Fluild flows at various temperatures are based on viscosity and viscosity is compared at these temperatures; 40 C and and 100 C measured in cST. Thus at 40 C information is provided as to how the oil will flow at low temps and at 100 C the imformation is provided how it may perfrom at higher temps. 40 C equals 104 F and 100 C equals 212 F. Hydraulic Oil AW 32 AW 64 Motor Oil 10w40 and 10w50 cST @ 40 C 32 64 90 170 cST @ 100 C 5.4 6.8 14.1 18.5 There are other factors to consider on oil used in hydraullic system. one I would be concerned with would be the effect of motor oil on hydraulic system seals. motor oils have various inhibitors designed for use in conbustion motors. just my thoughts.
I use AW iso 32. Just make sure it carries the iso marking. AW 32 alone may not have the same specs.. Later Bobcat.

Latest posts