How to Replace Hydraulic Hose - Rear of Lift Arm on 753

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rblethen

I've got a hydraulic leak on the right hand side, upper rear of my 753 Bobcat. I'm pretty sure it is a leaking flexible hose either going to/coming from the tilt cylinder. The upper end is exposed and I can most likely get those fittings free. But the lower end (where it attaches to a solid line) is in behind the coolant recovery tank and looks very, very difficult to get to. Am I missing something? Is there an easier way to change the hose? Or as a last resort, how do I remove the coolant recovery tank? Any guidance would be very much appreciated. (I wanted to post a picture of the "hidden" lower end, but could not find the instructions in the media section.) I do have an owners' manual and shop manual but they are not much help on this problem. Thanks!!

Bobcatdan

Coolant bottle just pulls out, 2 bolts hold the bracket. Crowfeet wrenches and a lot of cursing. Yours is probable the vintage with the pain in the ass fitting wrenches slip on all the time too.

OP
OP
rblethen

rblethen

Coolant bottle just pulls out, 2 bolts hold the bracket. Crowfeet wrenches and a lot of cursing. Yours is probable the vintage with the pain in the ass fitting wrenches slip on all the time too.
I certainly appreciate the response Bobcatdan! I'll pull the coolant bottle out tomorrow and remove the bracket. I don't look forward to trying to loosen the fittings as they've been there quite a while :) Guess I could go ahead and start practicing my cussin' tonight :)

7LBSSMALLIE

I certainly appreciate the response Bobcatdan! I'll pull the coolant bottle out tomorrow and remove the bracket. I don't look forward to trying to loosen the fittings as they've been there quite a while :) Guess I could go ahead and start practicing my cussin' tonight :)
what has helped me is a 7/8 wrench cut about two inch seems to fit better than an angle you can fit a cheater over it. for levarge. buy the way do em both . no reason to revisit it,

OX1

what has helped me is a 7/8 wrench cut about two inch seems to fit better than an angle you can fit a cheater over it. for levarge. buy the way do em both . no reason to revisit it,
I replaced both of those flex hoses while I was in there. They were rubbing agains't one another and I figured it was matter of time until the other went. One of them I could get to with wrenches and cheater bars. The other I could not even get 2 wrenches on it and instead of risking damaging a fitting/hard line, I removed the entire hard line and flex line in one piece. PIA yes (and I had to remove other minor components and some tube hangers), but it allowed tightening the new line easily and I then put the new line and hard line back in one piece.

OP
OP
rblethen

rblethen

I replaced both of those flex hoses while I was in there. They were rubbing agains't one another and I figured it was matter of time until the other went. One of them I could get to with wrenches and cheater bars. The other I could not even get 2 wrenches on it and instead of risking damaging a fitting/hard line, I removed the entire hard line and flex line in one piece. PIA yes (and I had to remove other minor components and some tube hangers), but it allowed tightening the new line easily and I then put the new line and hard line back in one piece.
Thanks to everyone for their input. I worked on the tilt cylinder hydraulic hoses yesterday and today -I don't do but 3-4 hours = day :). But I did get it finished today. I too could not get but one hose fitting loose - even after cutting a wrench down for clearance. So, as OX1 did, I pulled the whole line both solid and flexible. But that did work even though I was hesitant to take any more apart than absolutely necessary. One of my best tools is a digital camera so I can take pictures and see how things are supposed to be - or at least how they were before I got a hold of them :) I usually load the pictures on the computer so I can zoom in or move around to get a good view. Glad I had done that to determine the routing of the solid line that I took loose/removed. I did replace both hoses as I could not determine which one was leaking and I felt it was a matter of time before the "other" one leaked. One thing I did notice is that my fittings required one inch wrenches in lieu of 7/8". And the new hoses required a 15/16 inch wrench. There were some miscellaneous removals to gain even marginal access. The coolant recovery bottle and hose along with it's holding bracket(2 bolts), the throttle rod(?), and a shield (along with electrical items) attached at the two rear door hinges. All in all I am pleased and appreciate everyone helpful input :)

7LBSSMALLIE

Thanks to everyone for their input. I worked on the tilt cylinder hydraulic hoses yesterday and today -I don't do but 3-4 hours = day :). But I did get it finished today. I too could not get but one hose fitting loose - even after cutting a wrench down for clearance. So, as OX1 did, I pulled the whole line both solid and flexible. But that did work even though I was hesitant to take any more apart than absolutely necessary. One of my best tools is a digital camera so I can take pictures and see how things are supposed to be - or at least how they were before I got a hold of them :) I usually load the pictures on the computer so I can zoom in or move around to get a good view. Glad I had done that to determine the routing of the solid line that I took loose/removed. I did replace both hoses as I could not determine which one was leaking and I felt it was a matter of time before the "other" one leaked. One thing I did notice is that my fittings required one inch wrenches in lieu of 7/8". And the new hoses required a 15/16 inch wrench. There were some miscellaneous removals to gain even marginal access. The coolant recovery bottle and hose along with it's holding bracket(2 bolts), the throttle rod(?), and a shield (along with electrical items) attached at the two rear door hinges. All in all I am pleased and appreciate everyone helpful input :)
sounds like you got it done CUDOS, not a job for the feint of heart, yes truth be told , it really is just replacinibg two hoses seems simple, enough :: welcome to my world , sometimes things go simple sometimes things go hard but at the end of they they go , you call that a mechanic. or tech as human resources likes the term .we who do this for a living have some tricks. most of them are stupid. two wrenches at oppising angles. the smack with a 4x4 pry bars in between wrenches. 25 yrs at this ,rember youre local dealearship. .THIS IS WHAT WE DO. every day. and we are good. is time better spent in other ways, me i like to save a buck to/ IF I CAN DO IT I WILL, SO ONCE AGAIN JOB WEL DONE, but on the other hand would a hundred bucks have been worth it . ?

gyzmo

sounds like you got it done CUDOS, not a job for the feint of heart, yes truth be told , it really is just replacinibg two hoses seems simple, enough :: welcome to my world , sometimes things go simple sometimes things go hard but at the end of they they go , you call that a mechanic. or tech as human resources likes the term .we who do this for a living have some tricks. most of them are stupid. two wrenches at oppising angles. the smack with a 4x4 pry bars in between wrenches. 25 yrs at this ,rember youre local dealearship. .THIS IS WHAT WE DO. every day. and we are good. is time better spent in other ways, me i like to save a buck to/ IF I CAN DO IT I WILL, SO ONCE AGAIN JOB WEL DONE, but on the other hand would a hundred bucks have been worth it . ?
I want to thank you all for cussing for me. all your advice made changing the Tilt and Main Aux hoses on both sides a lot easier. I replaced all 4 hoses, at a cost of $630 AU for made to order hoses from Enzed. took about 3 hours to remove one of each to have copied, and about 3 hours to install and put back everything I had to remove. one trick that helped was to use two standard spanners on the tilt cylinder hoses, could only get about 20 degrees between the spanners and not enough room for hands. we used a very big sett of channel grips ( multi grips ) and used it to squeeze the spanner ends together. was just enough to crack the flare nut and let me undo the hose. love being able to find just about any repair on this forum. back to some bobcat gardening :)

Tazza

Staff member
I want to thank you all for cussing for me. all your advice made changing the Tilt and Main Aux hoses on both sides a lot easier. I replaced all 4 hoses, at a cost of $630 AU for made to order hoses from Enzed. took about 3 hours to remove one of each to have copied, and about 3 hours to install and put back everything I had to remove. one trick that helped was to use two standard spanners on the tilt cylinder hoses, could only get about 20 degrees between the spanners and not enough room for hands. we used a very big sett of channel grips ( multi grips ) and used it to squeeze the spanner ends together. was just enough to crack the flare nut and let me undo the hose. love being able to find just about any repair on this forum. back to some bobcat gardening :)
Glad you got it sorted out and more that you did it yourself, getting the mobile boys to do the whole job adds up fast, time is money.