How many hours are too many?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

alyaz

I know it depends almost entirely on how hard it has been worked and condition, but is there a number that you guys have in your heads when looking for a used track loader or skid steer that you say is too high - based on impending repairs, machine value, etc?

Tazza

Staff member
Generally the engine will do 6,000 hours before it needs replacing. Even maintained, it will wear, but running engines are not stupidly expensive. There was a mamber on here that had or knew of a machine that was on it's third engine and they drive pumps were still going strong, i don't remember if it was 10 or 20,000 hours, but it was a big number.
Personally, for home use, i'd like to not go over 4,000 hours, you know you should have another 2,000 before the motor should need attention.

OP
OP
alyaz

alyaz

Generally the engine will do 6,000 hours before it needs replacing. Even maintained, it will wear, but running engines are not stupidly expensive. There was a mamber on here that had or knew of a machine that was on it's third engine and they drive pumps were still going strong, i don't remember if it was 10 or 20,000 hours, but it was a big number.
Personally, for home use, i'd like to not go over 4,000 hours, you know you should have another 2,000 before the motor should need attention.
Copy, thank you.

farmshop

Copy, thank you.
5000-6000 hours is usually pretty trouble free. After that hoses start to fail. We have put 10000 hours on Kubota engines. As you said maintenance and how hard it was worked is the big thing

OP
OP
alyaz

alyaz

5000-6000 hours is usually pretty trouble free. After that hoses start to fail. We have put 10000 hours on Kubota engines. As you said maintenance and how hard it was worked is the big thing
Thanks.