How hot is too hot?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Loosenuts

How hot should the auxillary connectors/hoses be? After using my brush mower I can hardly hold on to the couplers to unhook them. Is this normal? S185

OldMachinist

Hydrauilic oil normal working temps are 120F-140F. 180F is maximum. At 200F the oil will start to deteriorate.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the reply....I will try to get a temp reading. What would be the first thing to look at if temps are too high?
Oil cooler is the first thing i'd look at. That and the blower that cools it and the radiator.
Depending on your machine, it could be a blocked radiator not allowing good air flow too.
I't normal for them to get hot, but you do need to ensure they don't get too hot.
Another thing taht could be making them hotter than they should is a restriction, they can heat up much faster than they should.

Bobcatdan

Oil cooler is the first thing i'd look at. That and the blower that cools it and the radiator.
Depending on your machine, it could be a blocked radiator not allowing good air flow too.
I't normal for them to get hot, but you do need to ensure they don't get too hot.
Another thing taht could be making them hotter than they should is a restriction, they can heat up much faster than they should.
If the hydraulic flid was too hot, the machine would set warning codes and more then likly the engine would also over heat as the cooler is staced above the radiator. If you are not getting hyd temp codes and the engine is running normal temps, I think you are fine. I think you said you are brush cutting, lift up the cooler and make sure the rad is clean. You should be doing this perdioclly anyways.

reaperman

I've ran many different attachments on many different skid loaders, brush cutter included. I always make sure I'm wearing a pair of gloves when I unhook the hyd hoses. They get way too hot to touch.

OP
OP
L

Loosenuts

I've ran many different attachments on many different skid loaders, brush cutter included. I always make sure I'm wearing a pair of gloves when I unhook the hyd hoses. They get way too hot to touch.
Lots of good advise....Thanks !! I have pressure washed the cooler and radiator. We will see what that does.