How do I clean case drain filters?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bobbie-g

I just changed the case drain filter elements in my 751C. 2100 hrs total on machine, 1100 hrs since I last changed the filters. Last time, the filters had a few shreds of what looked like black plastic in them. I assumed that was just flotsam, jetsam, and detritus from the original factory assembly. This time, I can see absolutely nothing in the filters. Wow, nice! So instead of buying the kit again next time, how do I clean out the filters so I can re-use them? Kerosene? Diesel plus blowing air through them in the reverse direction? Soap and water? And I haven't checked with Bobcat to see if I can buy just the O-ring and the rubber washer. Any ideas? :) ---RC

Iowa Dave

Yes you can buy the o-ring and washer separate. I always have the gold filter on hand and put in a new one if there is anything much in it. Why take a chance if it is dirty? If spotless, I just wash out/blow out with carb cleaner/brake clean/solvent and use new o-rings.

Tazza

Staff member
Yes you can buy the o-ring and washer separate. I always have the gold filter on hand and put in a new one if there is anything much in it. Why take a chance if it is dirty? If spotless, I just wash out/blow out with carb cleaner/brake clean/solvent and use new o-rings.
I have always used diesel/kero and compressed air. While talking toa friend about assembling hydraulic parts he pointed out he used petrol/gas as it dries witout residue. This way you can feel and see if there were any parts you missed. As Iowa Dave pointed out, carb/brake cleaner as it leaves no residue, but petrol is slightly cheaper :) Either way will work just fine though.

OP
OP
bobbie-g

bobbie-g

I have always used diesel/kero and compressed air. While talking toa friend about assembling hydraulic parts he pointed out he used petrol/gas as it dries witout residue. This way you can feel and see if there were any parts you missed. As Iowa Dave pointed out, carb/brake cleaner as it leaves no residue, but petrol is slightly cheaper :) Either way will work just fine though.
Thx, guys. I appreciate the advice. I agree, IowaDave, if they look dirty, why take a chance? These look like the new ones I just put in, not a trace of anything in them. I'll clean 'em up and put them on the shelf. --- And this "petrol" thing, is that anything like gasoline??? :) ---RC

Tazza

Staff member
Thx, guys. I appreciate the advice. I agree, IowaDave, if they look dirty, why take a chance? These look like the new ones I just put in, not a trace of anything in them. I'll clean 'em up and put them on the shelf. --- And this "petrol" thing, is that anything like gasoline??? :) ---RC
Petrol is Australian for gasoline, you weird people that call it gasoline, crazy just crazy :)
Our 'gas' is propane/butane etc.
Good to hear your filters were clean, they aren't very fine as you can see, but if a drive motor packs it in, it will help save your pump from particles that would tear it to shreds.

Frank Rizzo

Case drain filters from your local dealer can be had as an "element only" which means you do not have to buy the complete housing and all, they are part number 6661807. This is one filter I would not skimp on as it is your last lifeline if a motor/pump shells out. As for having some plastic debris from the factory that shouldn't happen as those are to be changed after the initial 50 hours of service, ofcourse anything can happen after 50 hours. Another concern may be that there are no plastic parts involved in the hydrostatic portion of the machine so one would think it would be hard to find plastic materials caught in the case drain. Anything is possible though.

Fishfiles

Case drain filters from your local dealer can be had as an "element only" which means you do not have to buy the complete housing and all, they are part number 6661807. This is one filter I would not skimp on as it is your last lifeline if a motor/pump shells out. As for having some plastic debris from the factory that shouldn't happen as those are to be changed after the initial 50 hours of service, ofcourse anything can happen after 50 hours. Another concern may be that there are no plastic parts involved in the hydrostatic portion of the machine so one would think it would be hard to find plastic materials caught in the case drain. Anything is possible though.
I have changed a "LOT" of case drain filters , I don't never clean them , was once told by the service manager that the rock is pourous and tiny pieces can get into the pours of the filter and cleaning it my never get it out and could cause back pressure , it sounded good to me so I have stuck with it , they are fairly cheap and don't require frequent changing ------------------ secondly is the pieces of ? oil ring ? -back up ring ? , I have seen that in the filter many of times , have no clue where it's from , and I have asked the dealer and got no satisfying answer ----------another thing to mention on the filter is to take care when dissassembling it as it is very easy to get it turned around in the housing ( facing the wrong way ) or to put the springs in wrong , if you do it wrong it will not filter and let trash thru the system ---------I think a tracked machine requires much more maintance of the drain filter than a wheeled machine does