Home-made Vib roller Plans

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

dozer

I have so far made a landplane, and post driver attachments for my skidsteer. I will post pics as soon as I get some paint on them. My next project I think will be either a straight roller or a vibratory roller. My question to everyone out there is what is the mechanism that makes it a vibratory roller and how can it be replicated? I would like it for packing down calving barn floors after I have cleaned and landplaned them smooth. And ideas, links, or pics would be appreciated. I will try and shoot some pics of my landplane tonight. That is as painted as its over going to get :) Dozer

Kelly

I believe most vibratory rollers shake by spinning a counterweighted shaft inside the roller.

OP
OP
dozer

dozer

I believe most vibratory rollers shake by spinning a counterweighted shaft inside the roller.
that actually "sounds" relatively easy. All you would have to figure out is how to mount the roller independent of the skidsteer and the middle shaft and how many RPM's it spins. I suppose it rolls by the speed of the skidsteer then. I wonder what the other major hurdles would be?

Tazza

Staff member
that actually "sounds" relatively easy. All you would have to figure out is how to mount the roller independent of the skidsteer and the middle shaft and how many RPM's it spins. I suppose it rolls by the speed of the skidsteer then. I wonder what the other major hurdles would be?
Yep, simply an off center weight inside the roller. I have an old walk behind roller that has this setup, it runs off a petrol engine with a clutch to engage the vibratory part. I was going to build an attachment for my Bobcat but never got around to it. I'm not too sure on the speed, but I'd say 2-3,000 RPM as its close to a 1:1 ratio from the engine (belt driven).
I would hook up a hydraulic motor with a flow restrictor to get your speed rite, it would then roll with the power of the skid steer.
I'd be interested in how it turns out!
I had plans on building a concrete mixer, but again one of those projects that i never got around to.... I even have the drive motor for it.

OP
OP
dozer

dozer

Yep, simply an off center weight inside the roller. I have an old walk behind roller that has this setup, it runs off a petrol engine with a clutch to engage the vibratory part. I was going to build an attachment for my Bobcat but never got around to it. I'm not too sure on the speed, but I'd say 2-3,000 RPM as its close to a 1:1 ratio from the engine (belt driven).
I would hook up a hydraulic motor with a flow restrictor to get your speed rite, it would then roll with the power of the skid steer.
I'd be interested in how it turns out!
I had plans on building a concrete mixer, but again one of those projects that i never got around to.... I even have the drive motor for it.
The other thing I was thinking is how much extra force do you get with the VIB roller vs. a straight roller? Is it enough to justify the extra moving parts and such? For my purposes it will br primarily for smoothing out and rolling barn floors after they have been cleaned as well as some light earth work. I think that just a standard steel drum filled with 1500lbs of concrete could do the job fine. What do you guys think? DOZER

Tazza

Staff member
The other thing I was thinking is how much extra force do you get with the VIB roller vs. a straight roller? Is it enough to justify the extra moving parts and such? For my purposes it will br primarily for smoothing out and rolling barn floors after they have been cleaned as well as some light earth work. I think that just a standard steel drum filled with 1500lbs of concrete could do the job fine. What do you guys think? DOZER
I personally found the vibration feature sure does help pack road base down. Not sure it would be required for a barn though, but road work i think it would help.
Ps. Bobcat_Ron is going to LOVE your avatar hehe, he is a huge John Deere fan... NOT

OP
OP
dozer

dozer

I personally found the vibration feature sure does help pack road base down. Not sure it would be required for a barn though, but road work i think it would help.
Ps. Bobcat_Ron is going to LOVE your avatar hehe, he is a huge John Deere fan... NOT
from what I have read on these forums bobcat ron has enough things that make him mad to worry about my little John Deere. :)

OP
OP
dozer

dozer

LOL, we will see :)
I scratched this plan as the landplane does a great job smoothing out the floor of the barns I finish with and I can see no need to do any more. Next project tree and branch shears!! thanks for the input though. Dozer

Latest posts