Heat shield rattling

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

melli

The thing is driving me nuts...I was sticking pieces of high temp gasket between muffler and shield, but after a while they move around and the rattle comes back... Any ideas on how to fix it, short of taking it off and pulling out the MIG?

SkidRoe

Can you put some of your gasket material back in and put a big hose clamp around it to hold it? I have done that for noisy heatshields on catalytic convertors as an interim (although sometimes permanent...) fix.

OP
OP
M

melli

Can you put some of your gasket material back in and put a big hose clamp around it to hold it? I have done that for noisy heatshields on catalytic convertors as an interim (although sometimes permanent...) fix.
I like that idea....hose clamp it is... Thanks!

Miker67

spend 600. on new muff or tack weld it,youre decision, (but do not let it leak into eng compartment, result is eng reburn ehx , dirty a/f eng runs lean and will smoke it.
Mine does the same thing and it drives me batty. I was just gonna hit it with the mig. I wasn't gonna pull it off though. Pop a tack on it right where it sits, just disconnect the battery cables before you do it.

OP
OP
M

melli

Mine does the same thing and it drives me batty. I was just gonna hit it with the mig. I wasn't gonna pull it off though. Pop a tack on it right where it sits, just disconnect the battery cables before you do it.
Two 6" hose clamps worked for mine...I had some high heat gasket lying about and stuffed the gap, then tightened the clamps. What a relief! I really haven't looked closely at how the heat shield is welded onto the muffler...a little nervous about burn through with a MIG...have to be super clean before I'd try it.