greaseless bushings

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Land-Tech

I rented a 4640 ealier this year and noticed when I went to grease the machine and found that that the only pins that had grease fittings were the hinge pins and the bottom ends of the tilt rods and all the other pins had nylon bushings. Now one of the complaints I've always had for my 5635 was the amount of grease that pukes out of the pins. It gets all over the machine. I'm saying to myself this is really a good idea. I save on grease and on cleanup.A mechanic I know said these type of bushings have been in telehandlers for years.I describe the bushing as nylon but I really don't know what they are made of. Durability issues come up and since I plow in below 0 F temps do they hold up? The machine I ran was tight and I had it for two weeks and did not notice any noise from the pins in dry conditions although the backup alarm on this thing was about as irritating as you can get. Also is there a retrofit kit for my 5635 or any other machines or do I have to invent one? I will have to go and check out a new model and see if this is possible.When I had the machine I didn't take the time to compare.kudos to Gehl for attempting to fix a messy problem. thanks Scott

skidsteer.ca

Scott
I looked a a 4640e today to and spoke with the dealer some about this. They still had grease fittings on the larger 5640 e and on the 4640 on the qa pins (4 places)
I will be keeping a eye on this to to see how it works out. It will be a great idea if it provide a good service life. The QA pivots are the high wear pins on any ssl and I noticed they use a nice long pin for the pivots point so they have a large wear area. I also tried the 4640 and found it fast 8.8 mph and the joystick controls nice and smooth.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Scott
I looked a a 4640e today to and spoke with the dealer some about this. They still had grease fittings on the larger 5640 e and on the 4640 on the qa pins (4 places)
I will be keeping a eye on this to to see how it works out. It will be a great idea if it provide a good service life. The QA pivots are the high wear pins on any ssl and I noticed they use a nice long pin for the pivots point so they have a large wear area. I also tried the 4640 and found it fast 8.8 mph and the joystick controls nice and smooth.
Ken
On my *cheap* 4 in 1 buckets they have nylon bushings and no greese nipples. A friend who did a lot of repairs on machinery used nylon a bit too with excellent results. If the hole was out of round you could get away with bashing in a nylon bush if a proper repair was not possible due to access restrictions. He told me he did that to a rather large machine and it never had any problems after that, not sure if it was still greased or not. Don't under-estimate the strength of nylon.... There are different grades, some is dirt cheap but some of the harder stuff... i think it was a few hundred $$ per foot, but it was special stuff.

OP
OP
L

Land-Tech

On my *cheap* 4 in 1 buckets they have nylon bushings and no greese nipples. A friend who did a lot of repairs on machinery used nylon a bit too with excellent results. If the hole was out of round you could get away with bashing in a nylon bush if a proper repair was not possible due to access restrictions. He told me he did that to a rather large machine and it never had any problems after that, not sure if it was still greased or not. Don't under-estimate the strength of nylon.... There are different grades, some is dirt cheap but some of the harder stuff... i think it was a few hundred $$ per foot, but it was special stuff.
When I go to town next week I will stop and see what the actual size diff is between my machine and the newer model. I need to check and see if the bore on the arms needs to be larger. If I have to bore out the arms and and rod ends ' there might be a cost restraint. Hopefully the nylon bushing would be the same size. Another way to solve the grease problem was to pull the pins and throw them a lathe and put grooves and each end and use large o-rings to help keep the grease in. I don't think they are tapered. the old JD's had o-rings on the pins. what do you guys think of that? Are there other brands that do that? Thanks Scott