governor adjustments

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

mikie

has any one ever been brave enough to check out the fuel system on a 743? my machine has great hyd power but seems to fall on its face when i travel with sticks all the way forward.no air leaks that i know of in fuel lines. i installed an electric fuel pump. i thought this might help. it pulls the rpm's down when climbing slight grade. i get no engine exhaust smoke which makes me think governor isnt working totally like it should be. i feel it should compensate for the extra load a little better than it does. maybe i'm just power hungary. i would like everyones input on this, mikie

skidboy

On the timing cover,in front of the injector pump there is a screw with a lock nut.Loosen of the nut and wind the screw out 1/2 a turn.Tighten nut and then try under full load.If there is still no black smoke,wind out another 1/2 turn.

Tazza

Staff member
On the timing cover,in front of the injector pump there is a screw with a lock nut.Loosen of the nut and wind the screw out 1/2 a turn.Tighten nut and then try under full load.If there is still no black smoke,wind out another 1/2 turn.
If it bogs down going up small hills it may be low compression or a weak pump too. Does it really bog down or is it just the fact the RPM lowers a bit? Does the engine stall?
I have adjusted my min and max speed but i have not adjusted the max fuel screw skidboy is talking about. Basically that screw limits the amount of fuel the pump will deliver under load when the governor opens the fuel rite up to compensate for the load. If it allows too much fuel in the engine it will start to smoke.
Unfortunately my engine manual doesn't cover this adjustment, it covers everything else, it just says its factory set...
With that said, it should smoke a bit under load

OP
OP
M

mikie

If it bogs down going up small hills it may be low compression or a weak pump too. Does it really bog down or is it just the fact the RPM lowers a bit? Does the engine stall?
I have adjusted my min and max speed but i have not adjusted the max fuel screw skidboy is talking about. Basically that screw limits the amount of fuel the pump will deliver under load when the governor opens the fuel rite up to compensate for the load. If it allows too much fuel in the engine it will start to smoke.
Unfortunately my engine manual doesn't cover this adjustment, it covers everything else, it just says its factory set...
With that said, it should smoke a bit under load
i overhauled it this last winter so i should be up on compression. i think i will try the fuel adjustment. i'll fill you in on thr results. mikie

Tazza

Staff member
i overhauled it this last winter so i should be up on compression. i think i will try the fuel adjustment. i'll fill you in on thr results. mikie
Did you get the pump and injectors done too? if not it may not be squirting enough fuel in. When i got mine done it cost me around AUD1,400 in parts for a full re-co including new nozzles on the injectors and the pump was done too. Machine was free as we know the rite people :)
I would make a not of how many turns you do as well, so you can always take it back to where it was if needed.
I'd like to know the *propper* procedure for adjusting this. I have details for setting injection timing and complete engine overhaul, but little things like torque rise and maximum fuel are not covered, they just say do not adjust as they are factory set. But as the parts wear even after a re-co they are never the same as they were from the factory and would like a small adjustment.

OP
OP
M

mikie

Did you get the pump and injectors done too? if not it may not be squirting enough fuel in. When i got mine done it cost me around AUD1,400 in parts for a full re-co including new nozzles on the injectors and the pump was done too. Machine was free as we know the rite people :)
I would make a not of how many turns you do as well, so you can always take it back to where it was if needed.
I'd like to know the *propper* procedure for adjusting this. I have details for setting injection timing and complete engine overhaul, but little things like torque rise and maximum fuel are not covered, they just say do not adjust as they are factory set. But as the parts wear even after a re-co they are never the same as they were from the factory and would like a small adjustment.
the twist of the little screw brought her to life. before, it acted a lot like the fuel was being held back like on an engine with an adjustable air/fuel ratio control. she is a lot snappier now. no, i didnt go wild with the adjustment, just a little bit. mikie

siduramaxde

the twist of the little screw brought her to life. before, it acted a lot like the fuel was being held back like on an engine with an adjustable air/fuel ratio control. she is a lot snappier now. no, i didnt go wild with the adjustment, just a little bit. mikie
Is there any adjustment on a T200? Mine kinda feels doggy just going up a slight grade. If I push the sticks all the way forward goin up a slight grade it will bog the engine slightly and it won't recover till I let up on the sticks and then slowly push them forward again.

Latest posts