Gehl 5625 Stiff Propulsion Stick

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

I picked up a 5625 sx recently for cheap, getting it going to keep or sell. The propulsion stick is very stiff, slow, which makes the whole machine seem that way. I know it has the servo assist, I guess my question is, is this normal? My 4510 without assist is very easy to move, change direction and it makes the whole machine quicker. How easy should it be to change direction with this thing? Everything seems to be working as it should, only thing I can say is maybe the cold weather has the oil too thick, or the servos could be air bound? Any insight would be helpful before I go nuts trying to fix something that I just need to adapt to.

Blaine Man

I have the same model as you. I am not that familiar with Skid Loaders besides the ones I rented. My stick is stiff also but I would not say slow. It seems that this one does not "dance" like the ones I have rented before but these were in newer condition. This is running it in all weather conditions, there in no change. We will have to see if somebody else replies also. 2100 hours on mine.

OP
OP

I have the same model as you. I am not that familiar with Skid Loaders besides the ones I rented. My stick is stiff also but I would not say slow. It seems that this one does not "dance" like the ones I have rented before but these were in newer condition. This is running it in all weather conditions, there in no change. We will have to see if somebody else replies also. 2100 hours on mine.
Thanks for the reply. I bought the fitting and a gauge, I am going to check the charge pressure to make sure the case drain and servos are getting enough pressure. It would seem that the servos would be in place to make the T bar less stiff than ones without servo. This is not the case here by a long shot. I am trying to choose between keeping my 4510 and this one and it is an easy choice with the current stiff T bar. It is a chore to change direction, which is pretty much a skid steers bread and butter. My 4510 T Bar is super easy to move and it doesn't have neutral return springs which I like while bush hogging and snow blowing. Literally a hands free operation going straight. Hoping someone with any model that has servo assist will chime in on how a properly functioning propulsion stick should feel... Blaine let me know if you have any questions as I have the service manual and have gone through quite a bit with my two Gehls.

Blaine Man

Thanks for the reply. I bought the fitting and a gauge, I am going to check the charge pressure to make sure the case drain and servos are getting enough pressure. It would seem that the servos would be in place to make the T bar less stiff than ones without servo. This is not the case here by a long shot. I am trying to choose between keeping my 4510 and this one and it is an easy choice with the current stiff T bar. It is a chore to change direction, which is pretty much a skid steers bread and butter. My 4510 T Bar is super easy to move and it doesn't have neutral return springs which I like while bush hogging and snow blowing. Literally a hands free operation going straight. Hoping someone with any model that has servo assist will chime in on how a properly functioning propulsion stick should feel... Blaine let me know if you have any questions as I have the service manual and have gone through quite a bit with my two Gehls.
Thanks 4510 for your offer. I was able download for free the Operator and Parts Manual for this model. I bought it while cruising garage sales with 2100 hours and for $4500 it seemed like a good deal. The paint is faded, the decals gone and a little rust on the cage so that portion was not bad. The tires are worn but not all the way flat with the cross ribs at the center. I was thinking about new tires but these already are rough on the ground, new ones would make nice 6" trenches! I changed all the filters and the oil and a temperature sensor. The starting took a very small amount of Starting Fluid so I bought new Glow Plugs which did not change the condition. I might add a remote Starting Fluid applicator for it. I will have to change the snapped brake cable this winter and see what the Calipers and pads look like. I have brought it back from the farm for this winter. I will pull it in the heated garage this winter and look into the brakes and the paint while having a few cold ones. How much are these models worth on the open market? I bought it for one major project at the farm but am awaiting for our local ditching to supply me with the dirt.

OP
OP

Thanks 4510 for your offer. I was able download for free the Operator and Parts Manual for this model. I bought it while cruising garage sales with 2100 hours and for $4500 it seemed like a good deal. The paint is faded, the decals gone and a little rust on the cage so that portion was not bad. The tires are worn but not all the way flat with the cross ribs at the center. I was thinking about new tires but these already are rough on the ground, new ones would make nice 6" trenches! I changed all the filters and the oil and a temperature sensor. The starting took a very small amount of Starting Fluid so I bought new Glow Plugs which did not change the condition. I might add a remote Starting Fluid applicator for it. I will have to change the snapped brake cable this winter and see what the Calipers and pads look like. I have brought it back from the farm for this winter. I will pull it in the heated garage this winter and look into the brakes and the paint while having a few cold ones. How much are these models worth on the open market? I bought it for one major project at the farm but am awaiting for our local ditching to supply me with the dirt.
I have seen 5625DX high flow models with enclosed cab, and good paint/tires go for $11k. Seems to be top dollar if you ask me. I got mine not running, pretty rough looking, with skinny solid tires for $2500. 3200 hours on the meter that wasn't hooked up. Different engine that looks brand new (perkins 4.154) and was told it was only run a few months on the new engine then it sat. Got it home bled the fuel lines at the injectors and lifted the machine so the wheels could spin and it fired right up. Bushings were all worn out for propulsion control so it wouldn't sit still while turning over. I changed all fluids and filters, cleaned the hyd tank strainer, added a coolant hose heater and drilled/tapped a spot in the intake for a thermo start (glow plug). This engine didn't have glow plugs. She started in 20deg weather. I changed the real bad bushings, got a few more to do to get it real tight. Also had to rewire the whole machine, between mouse damage and engine swap it was bare bones. It did come with a super strong build Gehl grapple that has to be worth over $2k itself. As I said before I am impressed with the power but the propulsion stick just makes me unhappy with the machine. I really hope I can figure it out, I ordered the fitting to check the charge pressure to make sure the servos and case drains are getting enough. The brakes are adjustable at the hand lever and at the caliper. Let me know if you need any sections scanned and emailed, the service manual goes into pretty good detail on the whole machine. What size tire do you have that leaves trenches? I debating 10 or 12 width. The skinny solids get stuck in gravel for crying out loud.

Blaine Man

I have seen 5625DX high flow models with enclosed cab, and good paint/tires go for $11k. Seems to be top dollar if you ask me. I got mine not running, pretty rough looking, with skinny solid tires for $2500. 3200 hours on the meter that wasn't hooked up. Different engine that looks brand new (perkins 4.154) and was told it was only run a few months on the new engine then it sat. Got it home bled the fuel lines at the injectors and lifted the machine so the wheels could spin and it fired right up. Bushings were all worn out for propulsion control so it wouldn't sit still while turning over. I changed all fluids and filters, cleaned the hyd tank strainer, added a coolant hose heater and drilled/tapped a spot in the intake for a thermo start (glow plug). This engine didn't have glow plugs. She started in 20deg weather. I changed the real bad bushings, got a few more to do to get it real tight. Also had to rewire the whole machine, between mouse damage and engine swap it was bare bones. It did come with a super strong build Gehl grapple that has to be worth over $2k itself. As I said before I am impressed with the power but the propulsion stick just makes me unhappy with the machine. I really hope I can figure it out, I ordered the fitting to check the charge pressure to make sure the servos and case drains are getting enough. The brakes are adjustable at the hand lever and at the caliper. Let me know if you need any sections scanned and emailed, the service manual goes into pretty good detail on the whole machine. What size tire do you have that leaves trenches? I debating 10 or 12 width. The skinny solids get stuck in gravel for crying out loud.
I have 12-16.5 on now (12" wide). I am up in Michigan on still non frozen ground and am running on my lawn. I have that same glow plug you added on my AC farm tractor. I am surprised how that glow plug works so much better than the Gehl. Of course you manually hold the AC for 30 seconds and the Gehl is factory timed for about 10 seconds. There is a local on line auction that has 4 new mounted 10-16.5 tires I was looking at. I would have to go over and see if the bolt circle is the same, unsure if i want 1" less clearance. I imagine I can get these for less than $200.

OP
OP

I have 12-16.5 on now (12" wide). I am up in Michigan on still non frozen ground and am running on my lawn. I have that same glow plug you added on my AC farm tractor. I am surprised how that glow plug works so much better than the Gehl. Of course you manually hold the AC for 30 seconds and the Gehl is factory timed for about 10 seconds. There is a local on line auction that has 4 new mounted 10-16.5 tires I was looking at. I would have to go over and see if the bolt circle is the same, unsure if i want 1" less clearance. I imagine I can get these for less than $200.
Up in Maine the prices are a bit higher for a set, I saw new for $650 10wide. May jump on it as I also see used for $400. I like the idea of the thermostart, super simple, I got a $9 windshield reservoir to hold diesel, and hooked up a relay and push button. Got lucky to find a nice flat spot on the intake to drill and tap. On yours I would unhook the glow plug timer and run your own manual push button to a relay, then battery straight to the glow plugs thru the relay. Test and replace the bad ones and she should fire without the start fluid. If you don't have a block heater the Kats lower hose heater works really well for $35 and a few cold buds. I am hoping that the Gehl pins line up nicely with the universal quick attach so I can get it fabbed up sleek and slim. I went the easy route with a prefabbed universal on the 4510 quick attach and now my attachments are 6" from the pins which takes away from my lift. SOMEBODY CHIME IN ABOUT THE 4625 5625 PROPULSION LEVER !!

Blaine Man

Up in Maine the prices are a bit higher for a set, I saw new for $650 10wide. May jump on it as I also see used for $400. I like the idea of the thermostart, super simple, I got a $9 windshield reservoir to hold diesel, and hooked up a relay and push button. Got lucky to find a nice flat spot on the intake to drill and tap. On yours I would unhook the glow plug timer and run your own manual push button to a relay, then battery straight to the glow plugs thru the relay. Test and replace the bad ones and she should fire without the start fluid. If you don't have a block heater the Kats lower hose heater works really well for $35 and a few cold buds. I am hoping that the Gehl pins line up nicely with the universal quick attach so I can get it fabbed up sleek and slim. I went the easy route with a prefabbed universal on the 4510 quick attach and now my attachments are 6" from the pins which takes away from my lift. SOMEBODY CHIME IN ABOUT THE 4625 5625 PROPULSION LEVER !!
How did the pressure check go on your servos? Low or normal?

OP
OP

How did the pressure check go on your servos? Low or normal?
Blaine Man, I finally got some work done on old yeller. I changed all the tie rod ends in the control system, and found that it helped some, but my big issue was a pin/hole that had wallowed out in the control rod/pipe that runs all the propulsion controls. Drilled bigger with new pin now she is tight. Also found while it was all disconnected that my propulsion control T bar was pretty sticky on it's own. I gave it the grease and some exercise, that freed it up nicely. The charge pressure was at 111PSI which may be a tad low from 120 in the manual, but I don't think it would cause issues. I may bump that up at some point. Test run went well, I am happier with the machine at this point. Still slower moving T bar (unless you fight it hard) compared to the other one with no servo assist, but I think I can get used to it. Lights and universal quick attach fabrication are next on the list. We are just getting snow now, how goes it to the west?