Gehl 4510 governor

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

RPop

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Live in western SD.
I have an older Gehl 4510 skidloader. Not sure of the exact year but think 1990ish.
I've been trying to find a governor with no luck. Does anyone have any idea where I can find a new, rebuilt or used one? Doesn't matter where as long as they ship. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

foton

I think that is a ford engine maybe you can find something searching under the ford engine block number. I hear governors are hard to find and not priced reasonble.

OP
OP
R

RPop

I think that is a ford engine maybe you can find something searching under the ford engine block number. I hear governors are hard to find and not priced reasonble.
Thanks for replying.
Yes it is a ford, 4 cylinder, gas motor. Not sure that I can find the block number. Would you know where it's located?
And yes, I've heard that if I find one it could be $1,000 or more.
Thanks again!

haymaker

VSG-4111413 ENGINE SERVICE MANUAL

1689593868584.png
PITT AUTO ELECTRIC COMPANY
https://www.pittauto.com › 194-294 VSG411

This might help. It is a bit newer than your machine.
Page 3 in the first section has a couple of pictures.
Not sure if the older motors with distributor are the same.

ALSO, I have had some good luck searching eBay Europe, these engines were used a lot in Ford cars and race cars over there.
Lots of parts sites have listings especially in Spain and England for stuff you just can't find for the VSG 411 and VSG 413 in the states.

engine type can be made by reference to the stampings on the left rear top edge of the cylinder block.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RPop

VSG-4111413 ENGINE SERVICE MANUAL

View attachment 4294
PITT AUTO ELECTRIC COMPANY
https://www.pittauto.com › 194-294 VSG411

This might help. It is a bit newer than your machine.
Page 3 in the first section has a couple of pictures.
Not sure if the older motors with distributor are the same.

ALSO, I have had some good luck searching eBay Europe, these engines were used a lot in Ford cars and race cars over there.
Lots of parts sites have listings especially in Spain and England for stuff you just can't find for the VSG 411 and VSG 413 in the states.

engine type can be made by reference to the stampings on the left rear top edge of the cylinder block.
Thank you much!

garymac1007

I believe the mechanical governors are made by HOOF Governors (https://hoofgovernors.com/) they build all sorts for many manufactures of equipment.
had to replace one on a mid ninetys bobcat 742 with ford engine last year. was pricey but is running great now.

OP
OP
R

RPop

I believe the mechanical governors are made by HOOF Governors (https://hoofgovernors.com/) they build all sorts for many manufactures of equipment.
had to replace one on a mid ninetys bobcat 742 with ford engine last year. was pricey but is running great now.
Cross my fingers! I'll check them out. I never thought it would be so hard to find one. There are a lot of these older ones still out there so figured parts would be that hard to find.
Thank you!

haymaker

I would lay 3 to 1 someone does.
They will see this a day after you pay twice what they want for it!!
That is just the way my luck is. LOL

Tango-Charlie

I had to buy a new HOOF which was $1200. However, I saved the old one being it was working fine and figured I'd pull the seals and replace them when I have a chance. Mine just had bad seals that needed to be replaced but will require disassembly to find the right seals.

haymaker

Just wondering...You never did say why you think you need a new governor.
Perhaps a little more information would help in repair of the existing one.
It is just a thought.
Or Tango-Charlie could give you some incite.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RPop

Just wondering...You never did say why you think you need a new governor.
Perhaps a little more information would help in repair of the existing one.
It is just a thought.
Or Tango-Charlie could give you some incite.
The pully bearing went bad. I'm not sure if it can be replaced? I figured I'd have to buy a whole new one. I'm not much of a mechanic at all.

OP
OP
R

RPop

I had to buy a new HOOF which was $1200. However, I saved the old one being it was working fine and figured I'd pull the seals and replace them when I have a chance. Mine just had bad seals that needed to be replaced but will require disassembly to find the right seals.
Mine has a bad pulley bearing. Not sure what it would take to replace that or even if a person can?

haymaker

Unlike much of the stuff made today, lots of the things made back then were serviceable.
Someone here may have that answer and if not a GOOD automotive machine shop could take a look and give you an estimate
on the repair. Provided it is repairable. If you go that route it might be a good idea to replace the seals at the same time.
Otherwise, depending on how fast you need it fixed conversation with Tango-Charlie to see if they are the same and a price could be another way to go.
$1200.00 plus is a lot of money but cheap if the machine has no other issues.
A repower is over 5K.

OP
OP
R

RPop

The pully bearing went bad. I'm not sure if it can be replaced? I figured I'd have to buy a whole new one. I'm not much of a mechanic

Unlike much of the stuff made today, lots of the things made back then were serviceable.
Someone here may have that answer and if not a GOOD automotive machine shop could take a look and give you an estimate
on the repair. Provided it is repairable. If you go that route it might be a good idea to replace the seals at the same time.
Otherwise, depending on how fast you need it fixed conversation with Tango-Charlie to see if they are the same and a price could be another way to go.
$1200.00 plus is a lot of money but cheap if the machine has no other issues.
A repower is over 5K.
Yes, 1200 is a lot. Machine isn't perfect but does what I need it to do. It does have a pretty bad lift cylinder seal leak but I'm thinking not to horrible of a fix. Maybe Tango-Charlie and I can figure something out. Thanks!

OP
OP
R

RPop

I just got to the location where my skidloader is. There are 2 tags on top of the valve cover. I'll attach those and also a pic of the governor. Maybe with these someone can tell me what year it is (92?) Size etc. Also what model and such the governor is???
20230719_142324.jpg
20230719_124018.jpg
20230719_142450.jpg

haymaker

ford 1.6l 98 cid industrial engine ksg4161-6005-a

Do you have the serial number of your Gehl?

Attachments

• 194-200 KSG411 KSG416 Service Manual.pdf
    8 MB · Views: 119

haymaker

Below are pictures of my governor and the Pierce/Hoof product guide.
Mine is listed on page 3 Part # BD 939D.
Yours is listed on page 4 and could be Part # BD 772, IF it is variable speed.
Part number BD 947 if it is constant speed. However I cannot say for sure what yours is with the information I have.
You will see only 2 are listed for the 1.6 and there are many listed for the 1.1.
Fortunately I was able to clean mine off and find stamped numbers on mine, perhaps with closer inspection you can do the same.
Mine is a Hoof and your photo is oriented 90% to mine I believe. Yours is a pierce so it may not be stamped.
You can see by my photos where the stamping is located from the shiny spot behind the spring..
I am giving you all the information I was able to find...Good luck.

Attachments

• PierceHoof-Governor-Numbers.pdf
    618.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 20230720_122145.jpg
    20230720_122145.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230720_122228.jpg
    20230720_122228.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20230720_122109.jpg
    20230720_122109.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 44