Gehl 280 steer loader not shifting into forward or reverse when using the joystick switch/toggle.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

areabaylove

hey folks! thank you so much for the help in advance, im new to this machine and hydraulic systems in general. story goes our tarp that was protecting the joystick and the area where the fuses lives, it blew off in the last storm and so the rain really got everything drenched! thing is i was able to use the machine for three hours no issues and then suddenly it lurched hard and then refused to engage the transmission in either forward or backwards. i used a blower on the same area mentioned above and sure enough it came back online, only to do it again 10m later but since drying out for the last several days nothing has changed.

SYMPTOM: The machine does not shift into forward or reverse when using the joystick switch/toggle.

TESTED / RULED OUT:

- Hydraulic system topped off and pressurized.
- The towing HP Valves for hydraulic pressure release (for forward and reverse) are NOT engaged (i.e. not in towing mode).
- The joystick switches (f/r) have continuity and are working (i.e. they engage the relays).
- Fuse # F13 "maneuvering" was replaced (tested ALL fuses and relays).
- Relay #s K4 & K3 are tested and working (for Solenoid valves forward & reverse driving).

- NOTE: The solenoid valves for forward & reverse driving HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED. (not clear on how to test)

Upon tracing the forward/reverse toggle switch harness from the joystick, we found this odd harness that has a black box that was added between the main harness and the joystick harness. Tried looking up the numbers but no help, also been on the phone with dealers who dont seem to have a clue what this inline harness is. the Reason i mention this is When that harness was removed and bypassed, the transmission momentarily engaged and lurched. But would not remain in gear.

If you have any suggestions or a good direction to go in please share!! Also any information on this mystery harness with black box PLEASE HELP!! thanks again and again, im dead in the water over here! Model 280 (2004)

Attachments

• 2004 GEHL Loader.png
    2004 GEHL Loader.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62