Fuel Consumption - S205

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

rumrunner

Hi all.. What are you folks averaging for fuel consumption. I bought a S205 with 39.2 hours on it. I filled the tank to the top. I ran it to 54.1 hours, of which I estimate about 1.5 hours of idle time. ( total time 14.9 hours ) I filled it up today and it took 47.5 ltrs of diesel. This works out to 12.5 US gals or 10.5 imp gals. This works out to: 0.7 imp gals/hour, 0.85 US gals/hour or 3.17 ltrs/hour I don't think I have gone over 1/3 throttle, maybe 1/2 throttle for a short period. Does this not seem to be an incredibly low fuel burn? I am mainly pushing snow. Not complaining..just amazed!!!

sledesigns

Lucky you, my gasser drank a lot digging hard or pushing snow. The oil burners are way ahead of gas in a lot of ways, maybe why they made it cost more than gas.
I haven't ran numbers on machinery but Diesels are very efficient compared to gas, and moreso closer to idle. Gas runs at an air/fuel ratio of near 14:1 while Diesels make optimum power at a similar ratio at wide open throttle. Gas must idle at the same 14:1 ratio while a Diesel idles at 50:1 or higher.
Basically while running, gas drinks all the time. A Diesel sips lightly until under a load, then drinks.
I finished my mpg research in a 7400lb 1 ton Diesel last week. Under a load (pushing 70mph air) to idle (27mph air resistance)
70mph 16mpg. 55mph 22mpg. 40mph 32mpg. Idling 27mph in 6th gear 42mpg. Love them Diesels