frustrating tire tread

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

i've used a wood working router to regroove tires before.It worked very well,but the rubber underneath was pretty thin after.
these tires are solid rubber so i "think" i can cut the centers out fairly well...just by chance i watch MODERN MARVELS ( most poweful#2) tonite and bob chandler and bigfoot were on there. he showed how they cut the tread off the tires w/ what looked like a sheep shear that must have been hot because it was smoking...will let you know what they say tomorrow (fri)

OP
OP
X

xtreem3d

these tires are solid rubber so i "think" i can cut the centers out fairly well...just by chance i watch MODERN MARVELS ( most poweful#2) tonite and bob chandler and bigfoot were on there. he showed how they cut the tread off the tires w/ what looked like a sheep shear that must have been hot because it was smoking...will let you know what they say tomorrow (fri)
hi guys...here is a link to the tire groover that BIGFOOT uses. it was pretty impressive how fast it cut through the tires http://www.myerstiresupply.com/pls/myers/display_coupon?pass_cou_id=207&cart_id=fsrb7118

cyclist

My favorite tire , which is proven to me is the Toby Sexton aircraft recaps , the plys are 28-32 , the side walls are just as thick , they have a tube in them but will hardly even go flat , when you first get them you have to buy the rims as they are split rims which bolt together , once you have the rims the casings arecapable as long as you don't let the threads get exposed , the local shops charge about $125 to cap the 7series style which uses a A-10 Warthog tire , the 8 series go about $155 and use a F-18 tire , the really good thing about this tires is runnng tracks on top of them , as if you do get a flat I can split the rim with the tracks in place and get the tube out make the repair or relace tube and not even distrub the track, on the side the tire they have a warning , only good to 210 mph landings
I presently have a John Deere 317 Skid Steer with 10x16.5 bald, foam filled tires on stock rims. The sidewall is gouged badly on one tire. I'm looking to talk with someone with real world experience concerning tracks & tires. I will need a tire that would provide excellent flotation for the muddy conditions in the woods where I harvest logs for firewood & also be good in snow for plowing & fit inside of a OTT Over The Tire Track of some kind. I am also looking for a compatible OTT Over the Tire Tracks System for the log harvesting. Have been looking at McLaren, Grouser, Loegering, Solideal etc. I mostly run in mud & gravel but park on a new concrete floor in my garage at night. Also, I may have to plow snow this winter on paved driveways. So far I have priced McLaren NuAirs Tires on new rims for $2500.00 The McLaren Protrac Magnum Tracks are $3172.00 or $5000.00 combined plus offset rims is another $400.00 but nobody can tell me if I need the offsets or not. I also priced Grouser OTT Bar Tracks for $2933.00 delivered price. Then I would have to buy tires for $790.00 which includes cleaning the foam off my rims so total for Grouser is $3652.00 Any suggestions? Thanks

jklingel

I presently have a John Deere 317 Skid Steer with 10x16.5 bald, foam filled tires on stock rims. The sidewall is gouged badly on one tire. I'm looking to talk with someone with real world experience concerning tracks & tires. I will need a tire that would provide excellent flotation for the muddy conditions in the woods where I harvest logs for firewood & also be good in snow for plowing & fit inside of a OTT Over The Tire Track of some kind. I am also looking for a compatible OTT Over the Tire Tracks System for the log harvesting. Have been looking at McLaren, Grouser, Loegering, Solideal etc. I mostly run in mud & gravel but park on a new concrete floor in my garage at night. Also, I may have to plow snow this winter on paved driveways. So far I have priced McLaren NuAirs Tires on new rims for $2500.00 The McLaren Protrac Magnum Tracks are $3172.00 or $5000.00 combined plus offset rims is another $400.00 but nobody can tell me if I need the offsets or not. I also priced Grouser OTT Bar Tracks for $2933.00 delivered price. Then I would have to buy tires for $790.00 which includes cleaning the foam off my rims so total for Grouser is $3652.00 Any suggestions? Thanks
Back to an original question about why the tread is not uniform across the tire. I believe it was on this forum that I read one of the commercial guy's responses to this, and it had to do w/ needing to let the casing of the tire flex, if I recall. If the tread were the same thickness all the way across, then the casing would not flex enough in the middle and the tire would not perform properly. That is what my memory says, anyway. As for re-carving the tread pattern, my dad used to do that with tires and a wood carving tool. It took him several minutes to do a car tire. BTW: Tracks up here, from JD (and made by Grouser) are $4800, no tires included.

skidsteer.ca

There is a studded tire for snow removeal available somwhere, "snow wolf" I believe. There was some talk about them on plowsite.com a while back. The only other way to make a skidsteer tire good in snow is to run tire chains on them. A intermediate step wuld be to get some 16" rims and run the tallest pickup snow tire you can find. For most applications a std tire will work, but its not optimal.
As for tracks, if you only want rubber ones to protect your garage floor when you park, why not get a rubber mat to lay down in that area? Most soft shoe tracks don't wear or last like a steel track. If I drive my loader straight in and out of the shop it does'nt do any more then make white marks on the surface. it not like walking a dozer in, the weight is not there to really gouge the cement. I don't know if I like tracks for snow removal. You don't need them if the surface is flat and hard.
As for the offset, use this guide to measure your clearance http://www.tracksplus.com/forms/new/MeasGuide.pdf
Then see measure the offset of your wheels and you should have your answer. A 317 with 10 by 16.5 tires show it needs a 1.5" spacer to run tracks, so you would likely need the offset wheels.
Ken

rock

Hi Cyclist, from what I know on the JD 317 is that it comes with either 12x16.5 or 10x16.5 tires and on the 12" tires, you need wheel spacer in order to put any over tire tracks on them. On the 10x16.5, I'm not sure, but you can easily measure it yourself -- if you have about 3" clearance all around the tires and the body/ fenders, then you won't need spacers. But even if you buy your 10" tires/ track without spacer and then you figure out you need them, you can always buy the spacers separately from many places. So, I wouldn't worry about it. As far as where to buy from, I personally think the McLaren's tire/track combo is a must for every heavy duty guy out there. I'm planning to also get myself McLaren's as soon as my current tires go a bit bolder.

skidsteer.ca

Hi Cyclist, from what I know on the JD 317 is that it comes with either 12x16.5 or 10x16.5 tires and on the 12" tires, you need wheel spacer in order to put any over tire tracks on them. On the 10x16.5, I'm not sure, but you can easily measure it yourself -- if you have about 3" clearance all around the tires and the body/ fenders, then you won't need spacers. But even if you buy your 10" tires/ track without spacer and then you figure out you need them, you can always buy the spacers separately from many places. So, I wouldn't worry about it. As far as where to buy from, I personally think the McLaren's tire/track combo is a must for every heavy duty guy out there. I'm planning to also get myself McLaren's as soon as my current tires go a bit bolder.
Are you wanting to replace these with 10 by 16.5 size tires and tracks?
Email me your zip and I'll get you a price too if you like.
[email protected]

cyclist

rock, the mclarens are a definite contender. thanks