Ford KSG416 Engine repair Bobcat 732

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

spitzair

Hello Everyone, I recently completed a fairly extensive repair on my spare KSG416 Ford Engine I had for my Bobcat 732. It's now installed and running. I took a pile of pictures and put them together in this little youtube video... https://youtu.be/uWGOPIczk7w If there's enough interest I will do an actual video documentary of tearing down and rebuilding the engine I took out... Might take a while before I get to that though...

OP
OP
spitzair

spitzair

Great looking work. Now, where in the world did you find engine parts?
Thanks Wayne! Finding parts wasn't the easiest thing to do but now that I know where to look they are still available for the most part. I got the pistons, rings and gaskets from Jensales, the main and rod bearings from Pegasus racing, the Sleeves from my local Case/New Holland dealer and the valves also came from Jensales. All reasonably priced too! Now I have a question for y'all. What is the best break-in procedure a guy should use for this engine? The book really doesn't say and a google search on the topic gives a whole pile of different opinions, some quite contradictory. I also asked over at HEF... I just want to give this engine the best chance at life that I can...

Wayne440

Thanks Wayne! Finding parts wasn't the easiest thing to do but now that I know where to look they are still available for the most part. I got the pistons, rings and gaskets from Jensales, the main and rod bearings from Pegasus racing, the Sleeves from my local Case/New Holland dealer and the valves also came from Jensales. All reasonably priced too! Now I have a question for y'all. What is the best break-in procedure a guy should use for this engine? The book really doesn't say and a google search on the topic gives a whole pile of different opinions, some quite contradictory. I also asked over at HEF... I just want to give this engine the best chance at life that I can...
IF it was mine - run for 15 minutes at about 1500 RPM and no load, watching for leaks, odd sounds, proper oil pressure and coolant temperature. Shut off and wait for engine to cool a little, check oil, coolant level, look for leaks. If OK, work the machine modestly for an hour, do not idle engine, stay between 1500-2800 RPM or so. Be alert for leaks etc. IF all goes well, change oil and filter (oil and filters are cheap- engine parts are not). After the oil/filter change, use it for whatever you need to for 10 hours or so. Then change oil/filter, check valve lash, call it done.

OP
OP
spitzair

spitzair

IF it was mine - run for 15 minutes at about 1500 RPM and no load, watching for leaks, odd sounds, proper oil pressure and coolant temperature. Shut off and wait for engine to cool a little, check oil, coolant level, look for leaks. If OK, work the machine modestly for an hour, do not idle engine, stay between 1500-2800 RPM or so. Be alert for leaks etc. IF all goes well, change oil and filter (oil and filters are cheap- engine parts are not). After the oil/filter change, use it for whatever you need to for 10 hours or so. Then change oil/filter, check valve lash, call it done.
Sounds like a plan. Now I just need to find something for it to do. So far no leaks, it has good oil pressure, starts very easy and sounds just sweet! I have the timing dialed right in and the governed rpm range set up properly so we should be good to put it tomwork forman hour or so!

Ster1

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I'm in the same boat. I just bought an old Bobcat with this engine and it's seized. You said you got the sleeves from your local Case guy. Can you tell me how you ordered them? Did you tell him is just for a KSG416 engine?

OP
OP
spitzair

spitzair

Yeah the Case / New Holland guy was able to get them being as Ford is New Holland. I just phoned them up and he was able to look them up and order them. Jensales has them as well I'm pretty sure.