fluid alternatives

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

weave

I have a bobcat 843 and was wondering if there is a alternative to the 90 dollar bobcat hydrostatic fluid. I have used this to top off my system in the past after a leak it seemed to cause a foaming issue. Just wondering if there is a better alternative out there

SkidRoe

Lots of guys use motor oil in their older skidsteers. I use 10w30 in mine. I buy it by the 5 gallon pail from Walmart.
HTH - SR

walio123

Lots of guys use motor oil in their older skidsteers. I use 10w30 in mine. I buy it by the 5 gallon pail from Walmart.
HTH - SR
Foaming means cavitation. Try using heavy oi 10w30 or 15w40. If cavitation continue to try to find the cause. Cavitation can cause serious problems.

OP
OP
W

weave

Foaming means cavitation. Try using heavy oi 10w30 or 15w40. If cavitation continue to try to find the cause. Cavitation can cause serious problems.
Would cavitation cause loss of hydraulics cause after I put the bobcat fluid in I was on a steep hill and free rolled to the bottom and after a minute all hydralics came back. I had heard that bobcat fluid doesn't mix well with other oil's is that true? Just want to b sure when u said 10w30 motor oil u don't mean hydraulic oil

walio123

Would cavitation cause loss of hydraulics cause after I put the bobcat fluid in I was on a steep hill and free rolled to the bottom and after a minute all hydralics came back. I had heard that bobcat fluid doesn't mix well with other oil's is that true? Just want to b sure when u said 10w30 motor oil u don't mean hydraulic oil
Foaming can be caused by air which has entered the system. Because the motors are spinning without oil. Тhey have worked as pumps when the machine was rolling down . It has gathered quite air in hydrostatic pump. This is cause foaming. Just let it stand for a bit, let bubble from the oil be removed. It should be fine. No other reason - good quality oil to make foaming.Before you change the oil was foaming? If there was,you must check the anti cavitation valve. Аs for oil, I have not had a problem with mixing. I usually use 10w3o engine oil.If you use hydraulic oil, be sure that it is grade 46.Do not use grade 32.

Bobcatdan

Foaming can be caused by air which has entered the system. Because the motors are spinning without oil. Тhey have worked as pumps when the machine was rolling down . It has gathered quite air in hydrostatic pump. This is cause foaming. Just let it stand for a bit, let bubble from the oil be removed. It should be fine. No other reason - good quality oil to make foaming.Before you change the oil was foaming? If there was,you must check the anti cavitation valve. Аs for oil, I have not had a problem with mixing. I usually use 10w3o engine oil.If you use hydraulic oil, be sure that it is grade 46.Do not use grade 32.
10w30 should be fine, I prefer diesel rated oil as its a little heavy dutier. $90 for Bobcat hydraulic fluid? A 2 1/2 gallon jug should be $32, which compared to most OEM fluids, is really cheap.

mmsllc

10w30 should be fine, I prefer diesel rated oil as its a little heavy dutier. $90 for Bobcat hydraulic fluid? A 2 1/2 gallon jug should be $32, which compared to most OEM fluids, is really cheap.
BOBCAT hydraulic fluid is SO pricey. I like to use # 46 weight hydraulic oil. I can buy one (5) gallon bucket for about $47, versus the much higher price BOBCAT stuff. I'm sure it is good, but I seriously doubt that it is DOUBLE THE PRICE GOOD!! Foaming is horrible. Check your hydraulic filter for a proper seal at the o-ring gasket. I have seen them foam & make a ton of noise if it leaks / pulls air into the system. If in doubt, or if it has been a while, simply change your hydraulic filter anyways. Always make sure that the system is full too.