Finally, some progress on 632

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

BobMn

Hello to all; Well, spent some time working on installing the new hydro motors...well, it takes two. A persom CAN install them WITHOUT breaking the chains! One works in the chaincase, with the frt spocket removed, and chain around it, then take the motor sprocket, install both chains on it. Then ,your helper puts the motor thru the opening, and into the double sprocket. whew! Now, it's hose hook up, etc. I also got a new bronze fiter, but it is 1/2 as long as the old one. does anyone know if this is the only one Bobcat makes now, or is there two different ones? Thanks Bob

Tazza

Staff member
I would call and talk to the service department about that one, i know the bronze filter that i have in my 731 must be the correct length or the spring that holds it in place will not push it forward to seal it. Otherwise you may as well not even have the filter. Just my 2c worth.

OP
OP
B

BobMn

I would call and talk to the service department about that one, i know the bronze filter that i have in my 731 must be the correct length or the spring that holds it in place will not push it forward to seal it. Otherwise you may as well not even have the filter. Just my 2c worth.
Tazza; Thanks for the reply! I was out in the shop today, and ck'd the two out. Yes, you are right on the money! Soooo, Back to the dealer (50m.) to ck this out. I also was cleaning up all the hoses, and just installing them to ck on fit. With the new motors, some hoses are to short, and one is to long! The ports are in a little different place, so go figure! Also dealer told me Bobcat uses "O" rings that stand up to the heat, a lot better than over the counter ones. Dunno, but he's about the same on price. Slow, but sure it is comming together! Thanks Bob

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza; Thanks for the reply! I was out in the shop today, and ck'd the two out. Yes, you are right on the money! Soooo, Back to the dealer (50m.) to ck this out. I also was cleaning up all the hoses, and just installing them to ck on fit. With the new motors, some hoses are to short, and one is to long! The ports are in a little different place, so go figure! Also dealer told me Bobcat uses "O" rings that stand up to the heat, a lot better than over the counter ones. Dunno, but he's about the same on price. Slow, but sure it is comming together! Thanks Bob
I feel your pain, really i do. I recently replaced all the hoses on my 731, but when i got them made they were made the exact same length, but still moving the hydro motor hoses were NOT fun at all, like trying to bend a solid steel bar, then you have to line up the fittings and tighten them up.... With regards to the O rings, you can get ones that handle the heat better from over the counter, go to a hydraulic seal shop and ask for 90 duro hardness O rings. They are harder than the "normal" ones and withstand the heat better. I used 90 duro O rings on the spool valve bank as i really don't ever want to have to pull that out again!!! Remember to oil or grease all the O rings before you install then to prevent them pinching when you tighten up the fittings. Good luck with getting it all up and running.

OP
OP
B

BobMn

I feel your pain, really i do. I recently replaced all the hoses on my 731, but when i got them made they were made the exact same length, but still moving the hydro motor hoses were NOT fun at all, like trying to bend a solid steel bar, then you have to line up the fittings and tighten them up.... With regards to the O rings, you can get ones that handle the heat better from over the counter, go to a hydraulic seal shop and ask for 90 duro hardness O rings. They are harder than the "normal" ones and withstand the heat better. I used 90 duro O rings on the spool valve bank as i really don't ever want to have to pull that out again!!! Remember to oil or grease all the O rings before you install then to prevent them pinching when you tighten up the fittings. Good luck with getting it all up and running.
Tazza; Thanks for the reply and the tip on the "O" rings. Friend came over last Sat. morn. and we started in. He lifted the motors up, while I had the sprocket, with the chains on, and the frt sporcket off the axle. It worked! Then, I go to install the small hose, and the 90 degree fitting on the new motor, and the casting on the new motor is in the way! Sooo, after I got a 45, I still had to cut a 3/4" by 1 1/2 " notch in the steel pan, so the hose would clear! I also took the brake block apart. Two of the brass pucks were a little ragged, so I chucked them up in the lathe, and just took that off. I've restored lots of tractors, built lots of hot rods, but this is the first Bobcat!! Kinda of a "working" restoration. I do have a grt dealer, and the mech. there will help you out!( Of course, Krispy Creams help!!) Do you happen to know what is difference is between the 731 and 732? Thanks again. Bob

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza; Thanks for the reply and the tip on the "O" rings. Friend came over last Sat. morn. and we started in. He lifted the motors up, while I had the sprocket, with the chains on, and the frt sporcket off the axle. It worked! Then, I go to install the small hose, and the 90 degree fitting on the new motor, and the casting on the new motor is in the way! Sooo, after I got a 45, I still had to cut a 3/4" by 1 1/2 " notch in the steel pan, so the hose would clear! I also took the brake block apart. Two of the brass pucks were a little ragged, so I chucked them up in the lathe, and just took that off. I've restored lots of tractors, built lots of hot rods, but this is the first Bobcat!! Kinda of a "working" restoration. I do have a grt dealer, and the mech. there will help you out!( Of course, Krispy Creams help!!) Do you happen to know what is difference is between the 731 and 732? Thanks again. Bob
Ahh yes, the brass pucks.... i did the exact same thing. Someone came over when i wan't home and used my Bobcat to move something onto their truck and forgot to take the park brake off.... how he didn't notice it was on i have no idea, all that growling it would have been doing... anyway i just did the same, threw them in the lathe and took a skim off and its as good as gold. I believe the difference between the 731 and 732 is the 731 uses a Deutz diesel engine and the 732 uses a Ford 4 cylinder liquid cooled petrol engine (or gas). Have a snoop on the bobcat site under historical specs, its great for information on the *antiques* we work on. http://www.bobcat.com/products/historical/lookup.html?machineType=SSL Bobcats are alot of fun to use and there is alot of satisfaction when you get one working just how you want it to. My latest project is a 743 that has had a small engine bay fire, it sure will be an interesting project. if you are interested there is a pic at: http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Bob%202.0%20Back%20Burnt.jpg It is about 1.2 meg, I hope this helps you out Taryn

OP
OP
B

BobMn

Ahh yes, the brass pucks.... i did the exact same thing. Someone came over when i wan't home and used my Bobcat to move something onto their truck and forgot to take the park brake off.... how he didn't notice it was on i have no idea, all that growling it would have been doing... anyway i just did the same, threw them in the lathe and took a skim off and its as good as gold. I believe the difference between the 731 and 732 is the 731 uses a Deutz diesel engine and the 732 uses a Ford 4 cylinder liquid cooled petrol engine (or gas). Have a snoop on the bobcat site under historical specs, its great for information on the *antiques* we work on. http://www.bobcat.com/products/historical/lookup.html?machineType=SSL Bobcats are alot of fun to use and there is alot of satisfaction when you get one working just how you want it to. My latest project is a 743 that has had a small engine bay fire, it sure will be an interesting project. if you are interested there is a pic at: http://users.tpg.com.au/tazza_/Bob%202.0%20Back%20Burnt.jpg It is about 1.2 meg, I hope this helps you out Taryn
Tazza: thanks for the info. Wow! Nice?! picture! Looks like you will be busy. I have done some "wire fires" myself over the yrs. It's like when I was still working, (Did body and painting), guys would look at a damaged truck,and say, "How will you ever be able to fix that?) Well, once you cut all the junk parts off, things look a LOT better! Same with these burn jobs.....one wire at a time!! Thanks a again for the replys....I know how busy you can get when still working. Thanks much Bob

Tazza

Staff member
Tazza: thanks for the info. Wow! Nice?! picture! Looks like you will be busy. I have done some "wire fires" myself over the yrs. It's like when I was still working, (Did body and painting), guys would look at a damaged truck,and say, "How will you ever be able to fix that?) Well, once you cut all the junk parts off, things look a LOT better! Same with these burn jobs.....one wire at a time!! Thanks a again for the replys....I know how busy you can get when still working. Thanks much Bob
That is so true!, it really doesn't take alot of work to make them look like new. Replace the bad bits and give it a coat of paint and you can't even tell. If you need any information on the 731 or 732 you mentioned earlier, feel free to ask. I have the manual for these models and i am happy to help where i can. I have just ordered the manuals for the burnt out 743, hopefully it will live again! it does need a bit of work.... the engine needs a re-build (low compression), but my dad works in the engine re-co business so i can get it done at cost. Keep us informed on your progress.