Fabricating a crane hoist

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

modus5

Well, I have been working on this crane hoist for a couple weeks now. I finally finished up with the paint. Tomorrow will be the test date. I decided to go with a crane instead of a telescopic boom. I figured if I get the angles right I could still get almost 10' of reach, but still be able to pick close to my machine keeping the arms low. I'm pretty sure it'll hold up well. I used heavy wall tubing, 1/2' plate for mounts, bushings grease fitting on the main pivot. I did use bolts for the cylinder pins. They are bushed and lubed, and I figured it is easy enough to pull them and grease them or replace as necessary. Anyway here are some pics, I will post more tomorrow after I connect up the lines and wrap it up.

HPIM0195.jpg picture by modus5
HPIM0200.jpg picture by modus5
HPIM0202.jpg picture by modus5
HPIM0204.jpg picture by modus5

Tazza

Staff member
Looks good. Just remember the further out you extend the boom the less weight it will hold till the rear lifts off the ground. Let us know how it performs!

OP
OP
M

modus5

Looks good. Just remember the further out you extend the boom the less weight it will hold till the rear lifts off the ground. Let us know how it performs!
Yeah, thats another reason I decided to go with the crane instead of the telescopic boom. I figure ten feet is far enough for what I have to do. I put it in action today. It works great. I tested it on my leaf loader & my 67" bucket. I am able to lift and extend both out fully with no problem. Very easy to control. Here are a few more pics of it in action with my leaf loader.
HPIM0208.jpg picture by modus5
HPIM0205.jpg picture by modus5
HPIM0206.jpg picture by modus5
HPIM0207.jpg picture by modus5

nailsbeats

Yeah, thats another reason I decided to go with the crane instead of the telescopic boom. I figure ten feet is far enough for what I have to do. I put it in action today. It works great. I tested it on my leaf loader & my 67" bucket. I am able to lift and extend both out fully with no problem. Very easy to control. Here are a few more pics of it in action with my leaf loader.
Nice job on that contraption! Looks like it will be fun to use. I am sure you will find all kinds of stuff to move with that.

Eric

That looks like my engine hoist, something to think about if I needed one.
I like the idea. Im currently working on an idea for telescopic boom with materials I have salvaged. I definately dont have the time to work on it yet. Thanks for posting your project.

OP
OP
M

modus5

I like the idea. Im currently working on an idea for telescopic boom with materials I have salvaged. I definately dont have the time to work on it yet. Thanks for posting your project.
I am really happy with the way this worked out. I use it all the time. It works great reaching over something to pick or place items like attachments or blocks. I actually added flow control valves so I could tune the raise and lower speed to make it more precise for lifting in delicate areas (like up against a house).

skidsteer.ca

I am really happy with the way this worked out. I use it all the time. It works great reaching over something to pick or place items like attachments or blocks. I actually added flow control valves so I could tune the raise and lower speed to make it more precise for lifting in delicate areas (like up against a house).
With a crane you need good control, you won't regret mthre flow control valves, I added them to the swing cylinders on my backhoe for careful digging sittuations.
For a crane I have though about a manual telescopic with a hydraulic winch at the base and a pulley at the tip. That way you would be able to lift things high without sticking the load too far out in front and up setting the balance of the machine.
I'm primarly thinking of setting building truses. I hav done this with a fixed length boom, but you really have to be careful with the bucket tilt.
I'm not sure how this would compare in cost to a a power telescopic, cost of cylinders versus cost of a winch.
Ken