Extracting ATV from frozen muskeg Canadian Style

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

skidsteer.ca

A local fellow was out hunting when he got his side by side Cub Cadet atv stuck in the swamp. He should have come back with some rope and a come along or more atvs that night, but....
Instead it was beginning to freeze when this happened and he got stuck when it fell through the frost. He though by leaving it a few days he could get it up on the frost and drive it out again. Instead it sunk more before it froze in real solid...
He tried to get his 580 case tlb back there a week later, but it was far too heavy and he was worried it would sink too after almost getting it stuck a few times.
I got called in to help free it with the hopes the bobcat would carry up better. He tarped it up and put heaters under the tarp and the idea was to thaw the frost and pull it out with the hoe. But after 36 hour under the 80 degree tent the frost had only come out a inch or so. (its takes alot to stop mother nature)
IMG_0786.jpg Tarped up to thaw picture by beyondupnorth

I scratched at the frost but it was barely softened. We then sawed into the frost with a power saw. It was now 8" thick. Impossible to bust with the hoe. So we sawed the frost into cakes about 2 ft square and bailed them out with the hoe. We could now wiggle the machine but not move it over a few inches. Even hooking to it with a 440 Deere skidder and pulling with the winch would not free it. It took several tries b4 we ripped all the grass and roots free from the ice froze to the machine and we were finally able to pull it out in a solid block of ice. He skidded it back 1.5 miles to his shop and carried it inside with a forklift to thaw over the weekend , no word on damages yet.
One thing with a skid you never know whats coming next
Ken
IMG_0792.jpg Sawed out picture by beyondupnorth

IMG_0793.jpg starting to come loose picture by beyondupnorth

IMG_0794.jpg picture by beyondupnorth

IMG_0795.jpg Finally out picture by beyondupnorth

IMG_0796.jpg picture by beyondupnorth

Tazza

Staff member
WOW
I love the last picture of it being dragged along with the frozen ground still attached!
I'm really glad i don't live in a place that gets anywhere that cold, i complain when it gets down to 5c I'd freeze if i lived in Canada thats for sure. That or never leave the warmth of the house :)

OP
OP
skidsteer.ca

skidsteer.ca

WOW
I love the last picture of it being dragged along with the frozen ground still attached!
I'm really glad i don't live in a place that gets anywhere that cold, i complain when it gets down to 5c I'd freeze if i lived in Canada thats for sure. That or never leave the warmth of the house :)
Yes it was just like he parked it in wet cement and came back a week later. Only good part is that +0 C reverses the phenomena.
I say one thing that Cub has a tough frame. They wraped a strap through the front and winched the skidder back (all wheel sliding) to it and jerked on it several times trying to free it with 10000 lb skidder.
I know another guy who pulled a Polaris 6x6 atv in two when the trailer and machine became stuck in the mud and they hooked a skidder to the front to extract it.
Ken