Extra solenoid on my 642b?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

GOM

I'm wondering if anyone knows what the extra solenoid is for on my 642b? It is on the opposite side from the fuel shut-off solenoid. It is located on the inside of the main frame on the left side (as you look into the engine compartment) fairly high up and forward of the hydraulic filter. It obviously is original since the wiring for it is in the loom and not "cobbled", but it doesn't carry much current either, since the wiring is probably no bigger that 12 gauge. The solenoid itself looks just like the ones used on Ford products 50 years ago--a little cylindrical body with two mounting tabs and three electrical terminals, two of which are larger that the third (central) one. If it was in series with the starter it wouldn't be a mystery, but it doesn't have battery cables anywhere near it. I have occasional electrical quirks with this machine, and I'd like to know what the purpose of that solenoid is so I'll know whether or not it is a likely suspect! All I can think of is that the solenoid is only used when the rental equipment package is specified and it is used for a main electrical disconnect when a problem is detected by the module. I'm sure someone must know, but right now it is not me! Thanks all!

Acj2001

Hello, I am not overly familiar with this unit. If it is a diesel engine it may have an additional solenoid to energize the glow plugs. Mine 843 has two that look identical mounted side by side; one is for the starter and one is for the glow plugs. Check out my channel Flat Thunder Channel

flyerdan

Hello, I am not overly familiar with this unit. If it is a diesel engine it may have an additional solenoid to energize the glow plugs. Mine 843 has two that look identical mounted side by side; one is for the starter and one is for the glow plugs. Check out my channel Flat Thunder Channel
There isn't a 642 book in the manual thread, but you might get the one for the 741-742-743 series for the wiring diagrams. I'd suspect that Bobcat used the same layouts whenever possible, and the diagrams have good callouts for wire color coding and sizes.
Finding out what it's for shouldn't be too difficult; the only thing that comes close in the diagrams are for glow plug relays.