Enginer Swap

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

bremery

Hi, I looked around but couldn't find an answer. I have a Bobcat 743 with a blown V1702 kubota. I found a V1902 which is out of a air conditioning unit. I know the 1902 will replace the 1702, but will there be any differances with bolting the 1902 into my Bobcat being that is came out of a air handler? Thanks,

Tazza

Staff member
The sump *may* be different, if it is you can take the one of the 1702 and put it on the 1902. There may be a device near the throttle to pull the speed up when the AC kicked in, but it should be easy to remove.
Good luck with the transplant!

Tazza

Staff member
We expect pictures!
Good luck with it
Ken
LOL good point Ken.
The physical size of the V1702 - V2203 is exactly the same, the HP is the only difference. The only changes to the engine will be bolted on, its too expensive for them to make a line of engines JUST for refrigeration. Worst case you can use the throttle arm off the old engine, i'm pretty sure its the same, the only difference *may* be the govenor springs. You may want to swap BOTH the springs from the 1702 to the 1902 but if the throttle arm looks the same i'd leave it alone. If there is a problem with it, you can easily change with when in the machine, i have done it before, HEAPS of space to do it.
With the engine out make sure you give it a good clean, including the oil cooler and radiator! If the radiator was a bit iffy, now is the time to get it checked and cleaned. Its not easy to get out with the engine still in place.
Good luck!

OP
OP
B

bremery

LOL good point Ken.
The physical size of the V1702 - V2203 is exactly the same, the HP is the only difference. The only changes to the engine will be bolted on, its too expensive for them to make a line of engines JUST for refrigeration. Worst case you can use the throttle arm off the old engine, i'm pretty sure its the same, the only difference *may* be the govenor springs. You may want to swap BOTH the springs from the 1702 to the 1902 but if the throttle arm looks the same i'd leave it alone. If there is a problem with it, you can easily change with when in the machine, i have done it before, HEAPS of space to do it.
With the engine out make sure you give it a good clean, including the oil cooler and radiator! If the radiator was a bit iffy, now is the time to get it checked and cleaned. Its not easy to get out with the engine still in place.
Good luck!
Unfortunately the motor I was looking at had many many hours on it, and I decided to pass. I am going to pull my 1702 and see what is really wrong with it. I was told the head is cracked which seems like a common problem. Thanks for the quick replies.

Tazza

Staff member
Unfortunately the motor I was looking at had many many hours on it, and I decided to pass. I am going to pull my 1702 and see what is really wrong with it. I was told the head is cracked which seems like a common problem. Thanks for the quick replies.
Just how many hours were on the 1902? and what did they want for it? I can't be 100% sure but i think the head from the 1902 will actually fit the 1702 if its a head problem. A new head will run you about the 900 mark i think.
I got a head from a 1503 i think it was and was the same as the 1702, swapped it over and ran perfect!.
Good luck with getting it going again.