engine removal

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

tlrlc

im trying to remove a 4g32 motor in my bobcat 642B i have the block ready to come out and cannot get the motor to un-couple from the hydro motor. i can raise and move the motor all around but it will not budge. any suggestions?

flyerdan

According to the online parts site diagram, it should be just a splined coupling with no set screws or other fasteners. If it hasn't been regularly greased, it could have taken a set.
I'd get a small prybar and carefully see if I could get it to budge. If that doesn't work or you're afraid of breaking something on the pump, you should be able to take the u joints apart. It'll probably be working by feel with a small combo wrench, but it's only 4 bolts.

OP
OP
T

tlrlc

According to the online parts site diagram, it should be just a splined coupling with no set screws or other fasteners. If it hasn't been regularly greased, it could have taken a set.
I'd get a small prybar and carefully see if I could get it to budge. If that doesn't work or you're afraid of breaking something on the pump, you should be able to take the u joints apart. It'll probably be working by feel with a small combo wrench, but it's only 4 bolts.
thanks yes according to the parts diagram its 2 u joints and a splined coupler but i can say it has Not been greased in a very long time. i guess im going to try and pull it with a winch or recovery strap or have to use a universal joint on a ratchet to get those u joints off...any chance you know what size socket fits that? thanks its a bear to get in there.

flyerdan

thanks yes according to the parts diagram its 2 u joints and a splined coupler but i can say it has Not been greased in a very long time. i guess im going to try and pull it with a winch or recovery strap or have to use a universal joint on a ratchet to get those u joints off...any chance you know what size socket fits that? thanks its a bear to get in there.
I don't know if you'll have enough room to get a socket on there, much less one on a universal. I guess it depends on whether you can see it from the back. If I had to guess on a size, I'd think it would be 7/16" for a 1/4-20 bolt. If I had to contort in there, I'd have a double box end with seven steenths on one side and three eights on the other.

craigb93

I don't know if you'll have enough room to get a socket on there, much less one on a universal. I guess it depends on whether you can see it from the back. If I had to guess on a size, I'd think it would be 7/16" for a 1/4-20 bolt. If I had to contort in there, I'd have a double box end with seven steenths on one side and three eights on the other.
I would start with the grease gun and a 12" flexible hose. The joint has three zerk fittings. The one on the splined coupler that goes over the pump shaft is the one closest to the front of the tractor. 3 or 4 good shots will probably float it free. An old kiddie mattress is perfect to lie on from inside the cab. You may have to have two people, one to hold the gun hose squarely on the zerk and a second to actually pomp the gun. It is all by feel but doable. I am looking at a picture I took when mine was out. The 4 bolts attaching the u-joint to the flywheel are 7/16 but good luck putting your hands on them while still in the machine. The flywheel fins don't leave room for that. I would go with the grease and if still stuck rotate the engine a time or two and grease it again. -Dick