Engine Oil Quantity?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

jbc

Hello everyone, Firstly, I am glad I finally found a forum that is dedicated solely to Bobcat equipment. I am new owner, but I hope I can add something that is usefull from time to time. Anyway, I recently bought a S185. I had a question about the engine oil capacity. When I changed oil, I drained out approximately 3 gal of oil. I filled it back up with the recommended 7.5 qts. but the level was less than halfway up the stick. I was wondering if this level is normal?

500K_773

Welcome to the Bobcat Forum jbc!!!
I have a 773 Turbo which the same model as the S185 before they changed naming conventions. I have only changed my oil twice and seem to remember only refilling with about 8 quarts, maybe a hair more. I filled the oil filter, not all the way since it is mounted at an angle, to pre-soak the element before installing. Maybe the recommended amount doesn't account for the volume in the oil filter. Sorry, I didn't measure the amount of oil I drained out. What was your engine oil level before draining? Could it have been overfull? You mentioned the oil was less than halfway up the stick? Do you mean halfway between the low and full marks? I don't have access to my machine right now, but I think the high oil level is only about 1.5" - 2" from the bottom of the dipstick. I should only be about 1 or 2 quarts range from the low level to the high level on the stick.

BTW, what type of oil did you use? Just curious, I am going to use Mobil Delvac1 5-40 on my next oil change.

OP
OP
J

jbc

Welcome to the Bobcat Forum jbc!!!
I have a 773 Turbo which the same model as the S185 before they changed naming conventions. I have only changed my oil twice and seem to remember only refilling with about 8 quarts, maybe a hair more. I filled the oil filter, not all the way since it is mounted at an angle, to pre-soak the element before installing. Maybe the recommended amount doesn't account for the volume in the oil filter. Sorry, I didn't measure the amount of oil I drained out. What was your engine oil level before draining? Could it have been overfull? You mentioned the oil was less than halfway up the stick? Do you mean halfway between the low and full marks? I don't have access to my machine right now, but I think the high oil level is only about 1.5" - 2" from the bottom of the dipstick. I should only be about 1 or 2 quarts range from the low level to the high level on the stick.

BTW, what type of oil did you use? Just curious, I am going to use Mobil Delvac1 5-40 on my next oil change.
Thanks for the reply. Before I changed the oil, the oil level was at the top of the indicated marks. On my machine the upper and lower marks are about 4" apart. When I drained and refilled with 7.5 qts the oil level was below the halfway point. I put the other .5 qt in just to be safe. It seems that if you fill it to the upper mark that it is overfilled. 8 qts puts it exactly halfway between the upper and lower marks. I was thinking that I may have the wrong dipstick. Anyway I guess I will stick with 8 qts. I put Rotella 15-40 back in it. I am in Alabama and our summers get pretty hot. I could not get away with a 5-40 in the summer. Mobil is good oil though. I will probably use Delo next time. I have been running that in my trucks for years.

500K_773

Thanks for the reply. Before I changed the oil, the oil level was at the top of the indicated marks. On my machine the upper and lower marks are about 4" apart. When I drained and refilled with 7.5 qts the oil level was below the halfway point. I put the other .5 qt in just to be safe. It seems that if you fill it to the upper mark that it is overfilled. 8 qts puts it exactly halfway between the upper and lower marks. I was thinking that I may have the wrong dipstick. Anyway I guess I will stick with 8 qts. I put Rotella 15-40 back in it. I am in Alabama and our summers get pretty hot. I could not get away with a 5-40 in the summer. Mobil is good oil though. I will probably use Delo next time. I have been running that in my trucks for years.
I finally got back in town and took a quick picture and measurements of the dipstick for my engine. I posted the pictures in the photo gallery (http://www.bobcatforum.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=52&gallerypage=0&path=Oil%20Dipstick%20Pictues). There is about 1-1/2" between the low and full marks and 8-1/2" from the bottom of the dipstick to the "cap". I am about 12 hours from my next oil change and will probably change it after using the machine tomorrow. I have been running my oil level mid-way between the marks. I will measure how much oil I drain out and then the re-fill amount. I hope it doesn't require any more than 8 quarts because I only bought 2 gallons of Delvac 1.