Egr delete

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

machine addict

I think I managed to delete the egr on my tier 3 sr250 the other day. I made a block off plate to replace the copper gasket that's between the exhaust manifoldand the heat exchanger. I picked up 20 rpm at no load full throttle so I think that's the same as a power increase. I've run the machine for a few hours and it hasn't made a code yet. Has anyone experimented with a dpf yet?

OP
OP
M

machine addict

I'm building a road today and the machine is running much cooler. Engine temp has stayed on one bar running 2150 to 2200 rpm.

Tazza

Staff member
I'm building a road today and the machine is running much cooler. Engine temp has stayed on one bar running 2150 to 2200 rpm.
I never thought an EGR would make any real difference in performance, it just re-burns some exhaust, so there will be less oxygen in the cylinder, i guess that will give a little less power per stroke. But when this is a factory setup, wouldn't the injector pump be tuned to take this into account?
Good to see it's working for you though.

OP
OP
M

machine addict

I never thought an EGR would make any real difference in performance, it just re-burns some exhaust, so there will be less oxygen in the cylinder, i guess that will give a little less power per stroke. But when this is a factory setup, wouldn't the injector pump be tuned to take this into account?
Good to see it's working for you though.
The more Burnaby air u can put into an engine the more power. Nitrous oxide does the same thing by putting more oxygen into the cylinder.

OP
OP
M

machine addict

The more Burnaby air u can put into an engine the more power. Nitrous oxide does the same thing by putting more oxygen into the cylinder.
From my research the egr reduces nox in the exhaust by reducing combustion temp. When this happens u increase particulate matter. I think I'd I did this on my tier 4a it would reduce regeneration cycles. My next theory is to gut the dpf and reroute the fuel supply line to the injector bypass line. The machine should think it is in regeneration mode but the extra fuel would return to the tank instead of being wasted in the exhaust.

Tazza

Staff member
From my research the egr reduces nox in the exhaust by reducing combustion temp. When this happens u increase particulate matter. I think I'd I did this on my tier 4a it would reduce regeneration cycles. My next theory is to gut the dpf and reroute the fuel supply line to the injector bypass line. The machine should think it is in regeneration mode but the extra fuel would return to the tank instead of being wasted in the exhaust.
Interesting idea, i wonder how you would actually test it though to get actual figures.
If it has a catalytic style exhaust, you may need the higher temperature exhaust for it to operate and more importantly, not plug up. You need it to be hot enough to burn up any unburnt fuel, but not too hot as to burn out.

OP
OP
M

machine addict

Interesting idea, i wonder how you would actually test it though to get actual figures.
If it has a catalytic style exhaust, you may need the higher temperature exhaust for it to operate and more importantly, not plug up. You need it to be hot enough to burn up any unburnt fuel, but not too hot as to burn out.
only has a standard muffler. 2012 has dpf