Easiest mount for old forklift forks?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

chuckinnc

I have two sets of old forklift forks. I dont plan on using forks much but still need to come up with a quick design for occasional use. Either a good way to attach them to my stock 763 bucket or to a homebrew quick attach type mount, these are standard forklift type forks. These are well worn and only around 40" long, if I set them back aginst the back of my bucket they only stick out about a foot past the bucket teeth.

skidsteer.ca

Forget using them on the bucket, on a ssl you need to get the load as close to the front of the machine as possible.
Make yourself a bracket to hold the forks with a quick attach bracket on the back. Depending on what you want to lift, you may not need as high backrest as most factory forks come with.
Ken

robmints

Hi Chuck, I just made a plate to hold some forks. And I forgot some stuff. 1. make sure you offset where your forks mount down so the forks set on the ground when level. I think I should have done this. and 2. Make sure your plate has some forward tilt to it so they will tilt back further than if you would mount them straight up and down. Cause if they don't tilt back far enough stuff will roll off when you go down hill. It's not a fork truck and your machine will go tougher places so it needs more lay back. Handy darn things though. If you want, I can get some pics in the pm tomorrow. Ken, I found a 48 x 18 x 1/4 plate to use. I found another 48 x 18 x 1/2, saving that for the root grapple.

skidsteer.ca

Hi Chuck, I just made a plate to hold some forks. And I forgot some stuff. 1. make sure you offset where your forks mount down so the forks set on the ground when level. I think I should have done this. and 2. Make sure your plate has some forward tilt to it so they will tilt back further than if you would mount them straight up and down. Cause if they don't tilt back far enough stuff will roll off when you go down hill. It's not a fork truck and your machine will go tougher places so it needs more lay back. Handy darn things though. If you want, I can get some pics in the pm tomorrow. Ken, I found a 48 x 18 x 1/4 plate to use. I found another 48 x 18 x 1/2, saving that for the root grapple.
Rob
Wow, never heard of a 1/2" one. That will make a good stout starting point. Most are 1/4" and some 3/8"
You will never tear that up.
Ken

OP
OP
C

chuckinnc

Thanks for the reply, I didnt think about back tilt. That would have been a big mistake as I was going to weld one up on concrete with the arms down and no back tilt. I saw this back tilt used many years ago to dig a water line trench. I the guy took one fork off and dug a clean 4-5" wide trench in red clay using back tilt.

skidsteer.ca

Thanks for the reply, I didnt think about back tilt. That would have been a big mistake as I was going to weld one up on concrete with the arms down and no back tilt. I saw this back tilt used many years ago to dig a water line trench. I the guy took one fork off and dug a clean 4-5" wide trench in red clay using back tilt.
Usually the qa plate is spaed out 3" or so at the bottom of the forks. You want the tine tips to be able to lift 6" or so above ground level when the loader is fully lowered.
Ken