Door and Side windows for Thomas

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

kroog

I searched for a cab enclosure for my Thomas T243HDS. I found a couple, but wasn't ready to spend over $1000.00 on the set. I purchased polycarbonate for the front window and cut a blank out of cardboard. I used 1" wide 1/16" on the outside and 1/8" on the inside frame backed by magnetic tape. I applied window silicone applied to the aluminum to seal it to the poly and screwed it together. On the sides I used lexan and weather strip tape then screwed it to the cab using the factory holes. So far I have the following for the front door: Polycarbonate $70.00 Piano Hinge 7.00 Handles 6.00 1"x1/8" aluminum 20.00 1"x/16" aluminum 8.00 Magnetic Tape 40.00 Hardware 7.00 For the sides: Lexan 50.00 Weather strip 20.00 Hardware 12.00 Total: $240.00 You can see a short video on you tube http://youtu.be/tUu0jzvfvP4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiTLLSlLBtU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVeLOVYmgSY

1ofU

ive done 2 bobcats now a 825 & 873 i purchased lexan from Lowes and the door frame i used 1/4X1 flat steel , on handles i made the first and the second time i used one for a screen door from Lowes aswell , very nice in the cold weather ,
Jess
 photo DSC02664_zpsae40e7d4.jpg

mark18mwm

Anyone wanting to do this a little cheaper, I have a tip. If there is someplace near you that disassembles electronics to recycle, see if you can get lexan or poly carbonate there. Many big screen TV's have lexan or poly sheets in front of the screen. These are taken off when these TV's are recycled. The plastic may be a little thinner and slightly more brittle but it should be of little or no cost so it's easily replaced. I have used TV screens for windows on mine for 3 years and only broke one when I tried bending it to far putting it on when it was cold out. I used a soldering iron instead of a drill to make holes in it and simply zip tie it to the ROPS/ screen. Takes 10 minutes to put on and off each winter. The stuff is pretty durable, I go off the trails in the woods in brush and always have brush rubbing on it, so far no problems.

OP
OP
K

kroog

Anyone wanting to do this a little cheaper, I have a tip. If there is someplace near you that disassembles electronics to recycle, see if you can get lexan or poly carbonate there. Many big screen TV's have lexan or poly sheets in front of the screen. These are taken off when these TV's are recycled. The plastic may be a little thinner and slightly more brittle but it should be of little or no cost so it's easily replaced. I have used TV screens for windows on mine for 3 years and only broke one when I tried bending it to far putting it on when it was cold out. I used a soldering iron instead of a drill to make holes in it and simply zip tie it to the ROPS/ screen. Takes 10 minutes to put on and off each winter. The stuff is pretty durable, I go off the trails in the woods in brush and always have brush rubbing on it, so far no problems.
Good idea on the recycling. Some glass shops sell scrap or miscut/leftover pieces. Craigslist works well too. It just galls me to have to pay over $1000.00 for home use. I could understand if I used it commercially and could write off the purchase, but I have to operate in a budget. Good ideas on how to save some cash and get out of the weather.