Do skid steers have titles to prove ownership?

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

blaster2005

I have never owned a skid steer. I'm concerned about buying one that may be stolen or may have a lien on it! I was looking at one on ebay and the serial number was not disclosed. I also felt his answers on paper work were sketchy, considering it was a 2004 one owner machine! Any info would be appreciated!

500K_773

No titles for Bobcat equipment. I was surprised when I bought mine new from the dealer. As far as protection from buying a stolen piece of equipment, I guess you can only check with the police. They may be able to run a nation wide search of the serial number to see if it was stolen.
Kind of offtopic. A few years ago a Toolcat was listed in the paper for an low price and this is right when they first came out. Later I found out it had been stolen from the Bobcat test grounds, transported to Alaska, then listed for sale. I guess Bobcat reclaimed it themself, didn't even wait for the police.
If this person was the original owner, they should have some sort of purchase agreement from the dealer when they bought it.

OldMachinist

No titles for Bobcat equipment. I was surprised when I bought mine new from the dealer. As far as protection from buying a stolen piece of equipment, I guess you can only check with the police. They may be able to run a nation wide search of the serial number to see if it was stolen.
Kind of offtopic. A few years ago a Toolcat was listed in the paper for an low price and this is right when they first came out. Later I found out it had been stolen from the Bobcat test grounds, transported to Alaska, then listed for sale. I guess Bobcat reclaimed it themself, didn't even wait for the police.
If this person was the original owner, they should have some sort of purchase agreement from the dealer when they bought it.
Get the serial number from the seller and take it to a Bobcat dealer they have a database of stolen machines they can search and let you know. If the seller will not disclose the number report them to Ebay.

Fishfiles

Equipment don't have titles , the original owner gets a certificate of origin when purchased , but that isn't tranfered to a second owner , just a bill of sale , like stated if your affraid of it have the dealer run the s/n's ,unless it's 20 years old the s/n is also stored in the computor and can be retrived by the dealer from the machine as the s/n plate may not be the right numbers , seen a scheme a few years back where they would switch the plates with other machines -----quick story that happened to me recently , I worked on a Bobcat T-200 and had to call dealer for parts , I gave the s/n and about 10 minutes later got a call back from the dealership saying the machine was on a hot list and would I talk to the local rental house that it was stolen from 2 years before when it was brand new , I said sure , would love to , as there is nothing worst than a thief , and within 15 minutes of hanging up with them they were there with the sherriff and a skid truck , the guy I was working on it for didn't own it he was using it on a loan from his friend who came out to the site with a bill of sale , the rental house took the machine , the guy who alledgedly had bought it lost the machine and his money but wasn't arrested as far as I know yet , we see alot of machines stolen and a lot recovered here especially since the storm , Lojack is the way to go

Latest posts