Digging Stumps w/709 Backhoe Attachment

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

nailsbeats

I just purchased a 2004 709 backhoe attachment.
emotion-1.gif

I figured I could make some money with it digging stumps in yards, among other things. Does anyone know if this will be an effective stump removal tool. If so, what and how to charge?
Thanks,
Nels

skidsteer.ca

Stumps 4 to 6 inches come out in a swipe or 2, spend more time driving to the next one then digging.
12" can take 10 to 15 mins and a 24" can aproach a hour.
I dug out a 36 inch one where my shop went up, but the closest I could rip the roots of was 30" away from the trunk, took 2 1/2 hours to go all the way around it, when I got done I could wiggle it in the hole with the hoe but cound not remove it.
When I got one of the big skidders home I wrapped the mainline around it and pull it out, it was as tall as the 753 I had then and probably weighed more. it was 8' wide and 6 to 7 feet from ground level to the bottom of the roots.
I'd say they work great up to 12" and 24 is doable, after that your getting out of your league, unless a bigger machine has no access, or its time to grind them off. No experience there.
Ken

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

Stumps 4 to 6 inches come out in a swipe or 2, spend more time driving to the next one then digging.
12" can take 10 to 15 mins and a 24" can aproach a hour.
I dug out a 36 inch one where my shop went up, but the closest I could rip the roots of was 30" away from the trunk, took 2 1/2 hours to go all the way around it, when I got done I could wiggle it in the hole with the hoe but cound not remove it.
When I got one of the big skidders home I wrapped the mainline around it and pull it out, it was as tall as the 753 I had then and probably weighed more. it was 8' wide and 6 to 7 feet from ground level to the bottom of the roots.
I'd say they work great up to 12" and 24 is doable, after that your getting out of your league, unless a bigger machine has no access, or its time to grind them off. No experience there.
Ken
Thanks Ken, great advice as always. I can take the times you gave me for each size and figure out what to charge. I would like to bid by the stump. Thanks again.

OP
OP
N

nailsbeats

Thanks Ken, great advice as always. I can take the times you gave me for each size and figure out what to charge. I would like to bid by the stump. Thanks again.
I figured I would throw in an update on my stump digging. I have found that most stumps are easier to dig out using my tree shovel on the front of the skid. This cuts the roots a lot better due to the force of the machine behind it and cutting them with downward force rather than an upward rip like the hoe. Even when you have to rip upward the skid has a lot more force and can move a lot more dirt faster. I also don't feel like using the tree shovel does a significant amount more damage to the lawn. My 2 cents.