Digging in moist soil

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Tom Brown

I'm under a time crunch to install some patio and I've been waiting for soil conditions to dry up. Everyone is rushing to get landscape jobs done and I notice there are a few bobcats working in my neighborhood. How moist can soil be and still be productive to dig in? I've had to wiggle the frog up and down to work the bucket through hard pack in heavy clay areas. Are there tricks to digging in moist conditions?

OP
OP
Tom Brown

Tom Brown

I've just finished hacking out about a dozen yards of tight, heavy, slightly moist, soil. Our soil here is nasty with extreme clay content. It was like trying to cut through concrete, just before it is fully set up. Maybe it's worse as the soil is rubbery enough that it's tough to pierce into. With just a smooth bucket, it was pretty touch to get into the material. The best technique I found was to raise the boom and drop the bucket so it is almost all the way down. From there, I could roll forward, drop the boom, and then start raising the bucket just as the cutting edge came into contact with the material surface. By hacking into the material a few times, I could peel out a bucket wide chunk about 3" deep. With the groove peeled into the surface, I could come at it full speed and drop the bucket into it as I fly over, like a pole vaulter. The whole deal humbled my little machine. I wish I could wait for a tooth bar but with freeze up in the next week, I have to excavate now so I can install the patio this weekend.

Tazza

Staff member
I've just finished hacking out about a dozen yards of tight, heavy, slightly moist, soil. Our soil here is nasty with extreme clay content. It was like trying to cut through concrete, just before it is fully set up. Maybe it's worse as the soil is rubbery enough that it's tough to pierce into. With just a smooth bucket, it was pretty touch to get into the material. The best technique I found was to raise the boom and drop the bucket so it is almost all the way down. From there, I could roll forward, drop the boom, and then start raising the bucket just as the cutting edge came into contact with the material surface. By hacking into the material a few times, I could peel out a bucket wide chunk about 3" deep. With the groove peeled into the surface, I could come at it full speed and drop the bucket into it as I fly over, like a pole vaulter. The whole deal humbled my little machine. I wish I could wait for a tooth bar but with freeze up in the next week, I have to excavate now so I can install the patio this weekend.
With the dirt i have its almost impossible to cut into anything with the bucket. I need the hoe attachment to dig, then need to throw the bucket on to clean up, its a super slow process!
The fun of clay is when it packs down its like concrete as you know, then what you get up just add water and its slick as ice! you loose out either way.

OP
OP
Tom Brown

Tom Brown

With the dirt i have its almost impossible to cut into anything with the bucket. I need the hoe attachment to dig, then need to throw the bucket on to clean up, its a super slow process!
The fun of clay is when it packs down its like concrete as you know, then what you get up just add water and its slick as ice! you loose out either way.
That would be a dream, to have excavator attachment. My skid steer is just a toy so I doubt it will ever happen but you never know. This stuff is so nasty, it comes out in large chunks, like digging a pile of bricks that are cemented together. Sometimes the bricks roll into the bucket and sometimes they roll off the lip of the cutting edge. For what it's worth, I've stumbled across another technique. Using the knife hacking technique describe above, it's possible to gouge the surface. From there, I can drop the bucket, slowly rolling forward, so that the skid steer is up on it's back wheels, with the bucket facing down in the cut. From there, I raise the bucket until it's about parallel to the surface. It won't cut much but it will cut a little if I keep the wheels stationary. Then, I slowly roll the skid steer forward while lowering the bucket until I'm well up on the back wheels again. Repeating this cycle, I can tear 3" deep chunks out of the surface and wiggle forward like an inch worm. It's not fast but it is a surprisingly powerful technique. Using it, I cut through and broke up a 5" thick concrete walkway using only a smooth bucket. To be honest, the concrete was easier to break through than the soil.

OP
OP
Tom Brown

Tom Brown

That would be a dream, to have excavator attachment. My skid steer is just a toy so I doubt it will ever happen but you never know. This stuff is so nasty, it comes out in large chunks, like digging a pile of bricks that are cemented together. Sometimes the bricks roll into the bucket and sometimes they roll off the lip of the cutting edge. For what it's worth, I've stumbled across another technique. Using the knife hacking technique describe above, it's possible to gouge the surface. From there, I can drop the bucket, slowly rolling forward, so that the skid steer is up on it's back wheels, with the bucket facing down in the cut. From there, I raise the bucket until it's about parallel to the surface. It won't cut much but it will cut a little if I keep the wheels stationary. Then, I slowly roll the skid steer forward while lowering the bucket until I'm well up on the back wheels again. Repeating this cycle, I can tear 3" deep chunks out of the surface and wiggle forward like an inch worm. It's not fast but it is a surprisingly powerful technique. Using it, I cut through and broke up a 5" thick concrete walkway using only a smooth bucket. To be honest, the concrete was easier to break through than the soil.
By the way, I understand the regulars here are sharper operators than I'll ever be. The technique descriptions are not meant to insult you guys who know how to do it. I thought it might be nice for some green operators, like myself, to have a couple of ideas they can search for. I would have never dreamed the little LS125 could cut through this nasty clay and I certainly spent a lot of time knowing it couldn't, but by trying different techniques, I discovered it could be done quite effectively with my baby machine and a smooth bucket.

mllud

By the way, I understand the regulars here are sharper operators than I'll ever be. The technique descriptions are not meant to insult you guys who know how to do it. I thought it might be nice for some green operators, like myself, to have a couple of ideas they can search for. I would have never dreamed the little LS125 could cut through this nasty clay and I certainly spent a lot of time knowing it couldn't, but by trying different techniques, I discovered it could be done quite effectively with my baby machine and a smooth bucket.
Tom
My soil here in Missouri is clay after I get dowm about 6 inches.I cut similar to what you describe with the bucket down to get started. Once I have an edge to work from then I can cut in slabs and I keep working from the edge until Ive covered the area I want.
I have a 7000 pound machine with a tooth bar. As im cutting I wiggle the bucket a little too help break it up. Your tooth bar will help a lot in what your doing.
I have spent a lot more time twisting bolts in my life than digging. Im no expert.You are doing what you have to with the size and weight of your loader.Your using the power of your hydraulics and leverage instead ot wheel traction to push. Im sure there are a lot of different dances for each situation. The main thing is that you are getting the job done. Mike

Latest posts