Constant flow of fuel from water separator drain

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cronin

Hi all,

Apologies if this is a stupid question but I'm new to skidsteers and looking for some troubleshooting help. I have a Deere 316GR that's throwing code 522329 for water in the fuel. So far I have removed the drain plug from the fuel water separator and let it drain for a good hour. What came out looked like pretty normal diesel fuel to me. When I put the plug back in and start the machine, the code is still getting thrown and if I pull the plug again I get more fuel out. Is it normal for the water separator to constantly be refilling itself? It seems to me like it would stop refilling once it drains out the contaminated fuel.

foton

I always use a glass jar and open the valve just enough to get about half filled and let it sit for a few min. look at the fuel ,water is heavier and will settle to the bottom of the glass jar. If there is no water ,that is good . If it is nothing but water and a trace of fuel ,that is very bad. Keep draining, It is possible to have those water sensors in the bottom of the filters to go bad and give you false readings.

mekabajo

Gravity fed, water is heavier than diesel and will settle in the bottom of the fuel separator filter, The water will drain out first when you remove the plug from the bottom. Once water is out it will continue to drain the lighter fluid (diesel) from your fuel line if you leave the plug out, it will not stop draining until there is no fluid in the fuel separator filter. Just put the plug back on after you think all the water is out, all water should drain out in less than a minute, not hours. Leaving the plug out for the hour is just wasting diesel. The fuel separator filter gets refilled when you try to start the engine as the fuel pump starts the flow of fuel to the engine.