Confusion on attachment systems

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

SlowDave

I am new to skid steers having recently purchased a low hour 453B and my head is spinning trying to understand the attachment systems out there. Right now it has the stock single lever system that I believe is called a Bob-tatch. It has some issues as the lever was missing. I made a new one but I still have to dial it in a bit. I have a grapple designed for a Dingo on order and had planned to modify to the current system on the machine but I am having second thoughts on that idea. My confusion is the result of me being a tractor guy and not understanding the skid steer lingo yet so here are some dumb questions.

First off the machine was purchased to help hauling demo wastes out from tight work areas and hauling/spreading new materials in the tight work area. We have a fairly complete shop here with 4 mills, lathe, plasma cutting, welding, sheetmetal brake, rolls, and on and on. We can make everything for attachments in house except the cylinders and hoses if we want to. All the work I do currently is on projects I own but I am thinking about branching out and offering services to others. I was in the contracting business for decades decades ago. As I get older I am planning on phasing out the bigger projects I have been doing for the past 25 years and just doing smaller stuff. I like working and can't imagine life without work. At this point it really isn't about making money but I do like making a profit on my activities.

As I understand it the 443B has limited aux hydraulic flow and thus my universe of potential attachments is limited.

Is the attachment system on the S70 the same as a standard modern Bobcat attachment system, just narrower? Will an S70 system work on standard Bobcat attachments (just fitting not considering weight)?

Since my goal is to work in tight places I only want narrow attachments, thus the Dingo attachments are appealing. Should I just convert the machine to a Dingo attachment system and modify the current bucket to the Dingo system and thus not need to modify future attachments? I really don't like the idea of using adaptors since I worry they will create more slop in the system and there is nothing worse than working close to structure and having to deal with something that is going to keep moving when you want it to stop. Think of a backhoe with slop, that is no fun ( I have one and there is a high pucker factor when working close to a structure).

Thoughts on this are greatly appreciated. I hate making decisions like this when I know my knowledge ifs limited. I know this is really pretty simple but I am reading conflicting stuff, thus I am asking.

mrbb

well, i'll take a guess and say,
I gather is due to not many have experience with the small sized skid steer's as in my area there rare
so, not many maybe have experience with the attachment system on them, I know I don't

BUT I would WONDER if they have the MINI skid steer attachment system, and if so, why not just use MINI skid steer attachments, rather than trying to use

I know there are tons of MINI skid steer attachment OEM's, and after market company's that make all sorts of sized buckets, small to larger, a swell as other attachments
I would look into that option before going about trying to MAKE attachments from a dingo fit your skid steer
and then, honestly if you need such small attachments from a Dingo machine, WHY not just get a dingo machine??
I mean if you need to get into tight spaces, odds are a dingo will fit into smaller spaces any how, only making things easier on you
as if you have tiny attachments on a bigger skid steer, the only part that will fit in smaller spaces will be the attachment NOT the skid steer behind It!

MAYBE post some pictures of your machines attachment system, and then maybe you'll get more help, advice, suggestion, not trying to be rude here, just offering some suggestions on the little I know o Mini skid steers that your's sounds like its one of!
and lastly, WHY NOT contact BOB CAT< I'm sure they can help you with attachments and tell you what your machine has for a set up, what its called exactly and then, what types of attachments that again will or will NOT fit it!

best of luck to you~!

Fabricator

The attachment for the mini loaders is a different size from that of the standard loaders. They function the same, but aren't interchangeable due to the size (obviously). Depending on your local availability, it may make sense to change to the Dingo system if that gets you more available attachments.

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Thank you for your responses. What I am finding is that there are more attachment options at better prices for the size I am looking for for Dingos than the S70. However the if the S70 mounts will also accept the full size universal mounts that might be worth doing. That is one of my questions.

I have spent a great deal of time looking on line for the answers but I am simply not finding them. The shop and owners manual for my machine give conflicting information on the attachment system. The shop manual shows a straight lever with an extra linkage piece but the photo in the owners manual shows a lever with a triangle at the pivot end and no extra linkage piece.

The single lever system on the machine now would be extremely easy in regards to adapting attachements to it without purchasing expensive adaptor plates. On the other hand the current system needs some work. It was quite a chore getting the bucket off yesterday and I can see that someone has been working on it before. It might be that the bucket has never been off the machine before.

I am going to talk to my electrical engineer brother about replacing the whole lever system with one 12v actuator to spread the lower side pins for locking the attachments in place. The actuator would siply move the pins and the pins would take the load. This approach seems a lot simplier than going hydraulic for locking and unlocking an attachment.

I went with a ride on skid steer as opposed to a dingo because Dingos and their clones are a lot more expensive than what I purchased. We have used various walk behind machines and I have found that we always have to resort to muscling the things around, this has been true for power wheel barrows, trenchers, stump grinders, etc.. That is what we are trying to get away from since both my helper (a former bull rider with all the scars to prove it), and me, a slow learner that keeps injuring himself doing stupid stuff. And besides, I am a big fan of sitting down on the job.

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Fabricator, are you saying that a S70 attachment system will not hold a full sized universal attachment? That is one of my fundamental questions. If that is correct the idea of using a S70 type system has less factual support than if it would also allow me to us full size universal attachments.

Thanks

Dave

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Here are a couple of photos of what I have. The release lever is a mock up I am working with to figure our the proper hole placement. As you can see the attachment side is super simple and attachments can easily be modified to this system without expensive adaptor plate or a heavy duty brake to do the modifications.

I greatly appreciate all comments.

Attachments

• IMG-3811.jpeg
    IMG-3811.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 154
  • IMG-3812.jpeg
    IMG-3812.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 134

mrbb

well ??
from what I found with a quick look, and model the 453 came in a C and F series, the C series the bob-tach was optional and on the F series it was standard
your VIN plate will have the date of machine on it or should! if not, running serial number at bobcat can get you a date!
the 2001 and on model got a slight increase in HP and lifting ability!

the C series was 1997 to 2001, and then the F series ran from 2001 on!
and from the spec's I found it uses the universal Bob Tach set up,,. buckets and attachments
your picture of your set up, I cannot see due to you have the face of things laying in the ground, but the back of the bucket looks odd and NOT standard, maybe it was modified or??
can you provide a pic of the quick attach set up on the face of things

but looking at these pic's of other 453/s
it sort of looks almost the same, minus, again parts I cannot see!
here are two pic's off tractor house, that show the 453 with a standard /universal skid steer quick attach bucket , or thats what there adds say!

but again, need a pic of the front of your attachment set up!

Attachments

• pic 1.png
    pic 1.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 119
  • pic22.png
    pic22.png
    4.4 MB · Views: 87
OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Reading your post it became immediately apparent to me I made a typo in the first post, it is a 443B not a 453B. Sorry about my clumsy fingers. The owners manual does say the Bob-tach was an optional feathre.was an optional.

I am away for the weekend but I will take a photo of the face on it when I return Monday.

The only modification other than my mock up lever appears to be someone cut an access hole on the underside apparently in an effort to access the linkage. I kind of like the simplicity of the current system in that fabricating the parts for modifying attachments can be done without purchasing and adaptor plate or making one that requires a brake that can bend 1/4" or thicker material. My brake won't bend anything thicker than 20 gauge.

Your photos are helpful but note that the 2 photos are of apparently 2 different versions. Mine was missing the lever so I am trying to get the bolt locations correct through trial and error. It looks like I have to relocate the hole for the linkage to be below the pivot bolt rather than off to the side as I have it.

Thanks again

Dave

JakeK

Based on your pictures you have a mini attachment plate. This will not fit full size (standard) attachments. If you're liking the price and availability of dingo attachments in your area then swap your attachment plate out for a dingo attachment plate. I fabricate as well and you shouldn't have an issue fabricating a new attachment plate to fit the dingo attachments. it would be easier to make one attachment plate then modify each attachment you purchase.

JakeK

also.. the attachment plate you have on your skid steer is also a side-pin which will limit availability of attachments

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

I know my current system will not take standard attachments but will the S70 system? If it does, that is a good reason to modernize in that direction. If not, I may as well keep what I have. As I purchase new attachments I can modify them easily to the current system. It seems to me that modifying to the current system is the cheapest and easiest way to go. In the past we have made specialized attachments for the tractor in house and we will undoubtedly be doing some of that for the Bobcat. Not every attachment will be for a Dingo.

The side pin set up is actually a blessing since to make the two pieces needed to modify an attachment only requires 2 pieces of C channel that are small enough to easily fit on the milling machine. It does not require a large plate and the use of a large press brake to bend the plate at the top and bottom. Also, it is harder in a work holding sense to manage a large plate on a milling machine to cut the holes for the retaining pins at the bottom.

Thank you for the comments, I am learning aa lot.

Dave

Fabricator

cm2ncfsu2

The oldest style (where the wedges go out horizontally and are both operated by one central lever) went on the 371, 313 (basically a diesel 371), 440, 443 and the 453.

The 463 and S70 use plate that is similar to the modern universal plate, but narrower. It is about 35" wide vs roughly 45" on the standard universal plate. However, the wedge/pin spacing is the same on the 463/S70 as the standard universal plate.

With a 463/S70 you can pick up and set the wedges on any universal attachment. I use a 48" smooth bucket from a 553 (with the universal plate size) as my snow bucket. You have to center the 463 on the wider plate but it works fine.

I have a 463 and converted a small backhoe attachment using the 45" universal plate so that it can be used on a larger machine if need be. I move several full size attachments around with it.

Weight can obviously get to be a problem. It didn't like trying to pick up large piles of pine needles with a 66" grapple bucket I borrowed from a neighbor.

To reiterate, the 371-453 plate is a different animal since the wedges go out sideways whereas everything else has the wedges going out the bottom.

Dingo is another specific design.

OP
OP
S

SlowDave

Thank you, that is what I was trying to figure out. I will look at the S70 system closely before I decide.

cm2ncfsu2

You can also use any of the tracked walk behind MT series to pick up any of the modern universal attachments (weight/lift capacity allowing).