Christmas present

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

perry

Christmas present to me, from me via ebay. I've been looking for a magnetic drill for some time and got lucky, I didn't think my bid ($251.00) would win. it's a hougen 904, I ordered the adapter and drill chuck because those cutters are expensive.

0011280x768.jpg picture by perrynboo

siduramaxde

Boy do I wish I had that thing when I was drilling through the 1/2" frame on my F450. I think 10 (5/8") holes took me half a day and about 20 battery chargings. My arms were like rubber the next day. Good find

farmboy55

Bring it over and we will try it out. Putting a new undercarriage on a JD 650G have a few broken bolt's. I just had a win on ebay myself, made a offer of a set of 10x16 flat proof wheels & tires and won.

OP
OP
P

perry

Bring it over and we will try it out. Putting a new undercarriage on a JD 650G have a few broken bolt's. I just had a win on ebay myself, made a offer of a set of 10x16 flat proof wheels & tires and won.
About two years ago I borrowed a magnetic drill and was immeditely sold on it, I know what your talking about when trying to drill freehand, that will wear you out.

skidsteer.ca

About two years ago I borrowed a magnetic drill and was immeditely sold on it, I know what your talking about when trying to drill freehand, that will wear you out.
Ram welding supply has not a bad price on cutters.
7/16 to 1 1/16" for 380.00
http://www.ramweldingsupply.com/products-list.mcic?c=61&m=
They sure work better then a dril bit, I'd want as least a few for the larger common size bores.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

Ram welding supply has not a bad price on cutters.
7/16 to 1 1/16" for 380.00
http://www.ramweldingsupply.com/products-list.mcic?c=61&m=
They sure work better then a dril bit, I'd want as least a few for the larger common size bores.
Ken
Ken, it came with a 9/16 and I won a 11/16. I believe those and a 1'' is all I need as a far as cutters, actually, I've never used the cutters!, the one time I borrowed a magnetic drill it had a drill chuck and it worked just fine after I sharpened my drill bits.

Fishfiles

Ken, it came with a 9/16 and I won a 11/16. I believe those and a 1'' is all I need as a far as cutters, actually, I've never used the cutters!, the one time I borrowed a magnetic drill it had a drill chuck and it worked just fine after I sharpened my drill bits.
That drill motor looks to be the exact same as the drill motor of the Black and Decker mag model I had till the sinkng of Atlantis (Naw'lins) , I was lucky to have had the handles , switch and covers from a regular burned up drill to turn it into a regular drill when the magnetic base went to Davie Jones Locker

Jeffscarstrucks

That drill motor looks to be the exact same as the drill motor of the Black and Decker mag model I had till the sinkng of Atlantis (Naw'lins) , I was lucky to have had the handles , switch and covers from a regular burned up drill to turn it into a regular drill when the magnetic base went to Davie Jones Locker
That is a deal, they usually bring around $400+ at auction in this area (St Louis). I have that same unit with the Hougen cutters and really like it. Try the cutters if you can, they cut much nicer than a normal fluted bit. I would like to get a chuck adapter so please keep us posted on how it works out. JEFF

Jeffscarstrucks

That is a deal, they usually bring around $400+ at auction in this area (St Louis). I have that same unit with the Hougen cutters and really like it. Try the cutters if you can, they cut much nicer than a normal fluted bit. I would like to get a chuck adapter so please keep us posted on how it works out. JEFF
P.S. Use the safety chain or put one on, It is not hard to get it loose in a tight spot! JEFF

skidsteer.ca

P.S. Use the safety chain or put one on, It is not hard to get it loose in a tight spot! JEFF
The cutters are sweet, like a hole saw, you don't disturb all the material in the center plug, they are fluted up the outside so the chips can get away and carbide tipped to stay sharp. Drill a 1" hole in 1 1/2 mild steel in about 15 seconds. Like it was drilling cheese. Made me wish I'd never see a twist bit again.
Ken

OP
OP
P

perry

The cutters are sweet, like a hole saw, you don't disturb all the material in the center plug, they are fluted up the outside so the chips can get away and carbide tipped to stay sharp. Drill a 1" hole in 1 1/2 mild steel in about 15 seconds. Like it was drilling cheese. Made me wish I'd never see a twist bit again.
Ken
I saw a short video on magnetic drills using a chain, thanks for the reminder. They also had cutting fluid dripping on the cutter, is this a must?, or just for hardened metals?. I suppose the cutters cannot be sharpened?.

Fishfiles

I saw a short video on magnetic drills using a chain, thanks for the reminder. They also had cutting fluid dripping on the cutter, is this a must?, or just for hardened metals?. I suppose the cutters cannot be sharpened?.
Sometimes I would tack weld a flat plate to the area so that mag drill would have a good flat surface to stick to , like on the boom arms when drilling to repair the a taper bushings , also have hung the drill by an engine hoist or chain fall with a chain while it is magnatized to the metal to give it added support , a nylon ratchet strap worked well in some instances to give it added security

OldMachinist

Sometimes I would tack weld a flat plate to the area so that mag drill would have a good flat surface to stick to , like on the boom arms when drilling to repair the a taper bushings , also have hung the drill by an engine hoist or chain fall with a chain while it is magnatized to the metal to give it added support , a nylon ratchet strap worked well in some instances to give it added security
Yes the annular ring cutters should be used with lubricant when possible. Here's what the manual for my Milwaukee mag drill says.
cutters.jpg picture by calfranch

I couldn't find much in the Hougan manaul about how to use these cutters. If you don't have a manual yet you can find it here.
http://www.hougen.com/tech_tips/drills/HMD904_tech.html
Enjoy your new toy they really come in handy.

OP
OP
P

perry

Yes the annular ring cutters should be used with lubricant when possible. Here's what the manual for my Milwaukee mag drill says.

I couldn't find much in the Hougan manaul about how to use these cutters. If you don't have a manual yet you can find it here.
http://www.hougen.com/tech_tips/drills/HMD904_tech.html
Enjoy your new toy they really come in handy.
Yeah!, I got the pdf manual bookmarked. On my old southbend lathe I use diesel fuel as a cutting fluid, I know it's flammable but never had a problem, just a little smoke. If and when I use the cutters, I'll definitely use a cutting fluid. The costs of the cutters demands it!. Is there a company, somewhere that sharpens cutters?.

OldMachinist

Yeah!, I got the pdf manual bookmarked. On my old southbend lathe I use diesel fuel as a cutting fluid, I know it's flammable but never had a problem, just a little smoke. If and when I use the cutters, I'll definitely use a cutting fluid. The costs of the cutters demands it!. Is there a company, somewhere that sharpens cutters?.
A quick search turned up a couple of places that sharpen them.
http://www.magneticdrilldirect.com/annular-cutter-sharpening.htm
http://www.myerstool.com/pricelist.htm