Cat sg18b stump grinder mounting onto Bobcat T320

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

genco

I have a Bobcat T320 with high flow and I have a friend that has a Cat sg18b stump grinder and I want to use it on my T320 but the cat has five hydraulic connections where my machine just has the three connections. The grinder has the large high flow lines and the case drain that go directly to the cutter wheel and the smaller supply/return lines that go to the electric/hydraulic valves to control the movement of the head. Has anyone encountered and solved this prblem before? Thanks Ron

skidsteer.ca

Ron
To further our converstion, this is the type of flow devider I was thinking of.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009111212092413&item=9-5024-75&catname=hydraulic
It is not big enough to handle the 37 gpm flow of your t320, but look around with those folks or try www.baileynet.com
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009111212092413&item=9-2597&catname=hydraulic would work but you would have to limit the pressure to 2500 psi.
I really can't see any reason why the return flows could not just be T together, but worse case its not hard to plum in another return line usually.
As I stated you will need the older 14 pin attachment control harness from bobcat or you will have to wire up your own switch and plug in sytem as the & pin Bobcat sytems plays with no one else.
If you get a chance read through this thead about using a 7 pin blower on a older machine.
Can you post some pictures of the unit? (must be hosted online) then copy and paste into the text box here. Or email them to me and I'll upload them. [email protected]
Ken

OP
OP
G

genco

Ron
To further our converstion, this is the type of flow devider I was thinking of.
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009111212092413&item=9-5024-75&catname=hydraulic
It is not big enough to handle the 37 gpm flow of your t320, but look around with those folks or try www.baileynet.com
https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2009111212092413&item=9-2597&catname=hydraulic would work but you would have to limit the pressure to 2500 psi.
I really can't see any reason why the return flows could not just be T together, but worse case its not hard to plum in another return line usually.
As I stated you will need the older 14 pin attachment control harness from bobcat or you will have to wire up your own switch and plug in sytem as the & pin Bobcat sytems plays with no one else.
If you get a chance read through this thead about using a 7 pin blower on a older machine.
Can you post some pictures of the unit? (must be hosted online) then copy and paste into the text box here. Or email them to me and I'll upload them. [email protected]
Ken
Ken, I will try to get some pictures of the grinder as soon as possible. Since I spoke with you I did receive a call back from Bobcat engineering and was told that the controls on my T320 would not work with the cat attachment due to cat having a 12 volt control system and mine is not 12 volt that the Bobcat works off of computer software information that is fed thru the controls on the T320 to a bobcat attachment that has a controller that reads that info. Caterpillar does offer a controll pendant that will plug onto a 12 volt source {battery} and has a cord to run inside my cab so I can control the functions of the grinder. I think the main obstacle is the hydraulic plumbing and I also think you may be onto something with this flow divider. Lets keep working on this and we might just get it to work. Thanks Ron

skidsteer.ca

Ken, I will try to get some pictures of the grinder as soon as possible. Since I spoke with you I did receive a call back from Bobcat engineering and was told that the controls on my T320 would not work with the cat attachment due to cat having a 12 volt control system and mine is not 12 volt that the Bobcat works off of computer software information that is fed thru the controls on the T320 to a bobcat attachment that has a controller that reads that info. Caterpillar does offer a controll pendant that will plug onto a 12 volt source {battery} and has a cord to run inside my cab so I can control the functions of the grinder. I think the main obstacle is the hydraulic plumbing and I also think you may be onto something with this flow divider. Lets keep working on this and we might just get it to work. Thanks Ron
Ron we have a "pistol grip" control with 4 momentary micro switches too, but it sounds like you need 6 switches. (3 cylinders time 2 directions?)
Are you buying this or does it need to go from your Buddys cat to your 320 and back. (no permanent mods?
Ken

OP
OP
G

genco

Ron we have a "pistol grip" control with 4 momentary micro switches too, but it sounds like you need 6 switches. (3 cylinders time 2 directions?)
Are you buying this or does it need to go from your Buddys cat to your 320 and back. (no permanent mods?
Ken
Ken, I am looking to buy this cat grinder so permanent mods are fine. Thanks Ron

OP
OP
G

genco

Ken, I am looking to buy this cat grinder so permanent mods are fine. Thanks Ron
Ken, I believe you sell the Erskine line of grinders. Can I buy the electric/hydraulic valve like the Erskine grinder has on it? From my research I see that the Erskine doesn't have the extension mode like the Cat has but maybe Erskine has a valve with three operations like I would need or if I had the manufacturer info of their valve I could go to the manufacturer or one of their distributors ? Any thoughts? Thanks Ron

OP
OP
G

genco

Ken, I believe you sell the Erskine line of grinders. Can I buy the electric/hydraulic valve like the Erskine grinder has on it? From my research I see that the Erskine doesn't have the extension mode like the Cat has but maybe Erskine has a valve with three operations like I would need or if I had the manufacturer info of their valve I could go to the manufacturer or one of their distributors ? Any thoughts? Thanks Ron
Ken, Also regarding the controls you talked about, yes you are correct. Bobcat offers a control converter kit to add the 14 pin connector that gives me the capability to run this grinder because according to the Bobcat engineer this converter would convert their computer language as they call it to 12 volt dc signals out to the attachment. I do know that this converter exist because I went to the dealer and saw one. The cost of this converter installed would be about $500.00 but I might be able to get a control pendant like you see on a mobile crane on a service truck with the momentary toggle switches that you push off center to either side to control a solenoid valve in both directions. This hand held pendant may be the most economical way to go. Thanks Ron

OP
OP
G

genco

Ken, Also regarding the controls you talked about, yes you are correct. Bobcat offers a control converter kit to add the 14 pin connector that gives me the capability to run this grinder because according to the Bobcat engineer this converter would convert their computer language as they call it to 12 volt dc signals out to the attachment. I do know that this converter exist because I went to the dealer and saw one. The cost of this converter installed would be about $500.00 but I might be able to get a control pendant like you see on a mobile crane on a service truck with the momentary toggle switches that you push off center to either side to control a solenoid valve in both directions. This hand held pendant may be the most economical way to go. Thanks Ron
Ken, After a lot of work on this problem I have decided to abandon this cat grinder due to the cost involved in making the modifications to the grinder to adapt it to the bobcat. I have purchased a used quick attach brand in the meantime though. You had mentioned to me that you could provide me with the info to buy the replacement teeth for the Erskine/Quick Attach grinder at a much cheaper price. Can you still provide that info? Thanks Ron

skidsteer.ca

Ken, After a lot of work on this problem I have decided to abandon this cat grinder due to the cost involved in making the modifications to the grinder to adapt it to the bobcat. I have purchased a used quick attach brand in the meantime though. You had mentioned to me that you could provide me with the info to buy the replacement teeth for the Erskine/Quick Attach grinder at a much cheaper price. Can you still provide that info? Thanks Ron
I'll look it up, and get back, remind me if I don't get on it!
Ken

skidsteer.ca

Ken, Just getting back with you on the replacement teeth to see if you came up with info. Thanks Ron
I'm thinking this is the site, but they have in under construction with just a number and address listed so I can't confirm. B4 they had pictures of the teeth and the SDM is cast in the side of the grinder teeth. I believe.
Mine is in the snow bank and its -32 right now, so pardon me for not double checking.
http://www.sdmtools.com/
Ken

OP
OP
G

genco

I'm thinking this is the site, but they have in under construction with just a number and address listed so I can't confirm. B4 they had pictures of the teeth and the SDM is cast in the side of the grinder teeth. I believe.
Mine is in the snow bank and its -32 right now, so pardon me for not double checking.
http://www.sdmtools.com/
Ken
Thanks Ken, I'll give them a call. Ron