CAT COOLANT QUESTION.

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sdwatt

Hi all, Skidsteer newb here. I just bought a 2005 Cat 226b skidsteer. This is my first skidsteer, and first quasi commercial piece of equipment. She has high hours but came with a great service history, and the price was right. Being technically minded the first thing I am doing is the service that I am able to tackle which is fluids and filters. So, I go to FINNING to buy the parts etc. I get home and my CAT coolant is red and the coolant in my machine is green. So, can a guy mix the two? I understand that coolant technology has now developed to allow this in passenger vehicles, but I am proceeding with caution before I start to screw this up. Thoughts? BTW, apparently a service manual from FINNING for my cat is worth its weight in gold. Any tips for a guy trying to locate one on the cheap? I am not opposed to a .pdf version but I just can not justify 900.00 dollars for 3 manuals. sheesh. If there are any owner operators familiar with the 226b in the Edmonton area that can help me onto the right path with service and maintenance I would happily pay for your time to help me get in the "know" faster. Cheers, Sean

skidsteer.ca

I don't believe you can mix the two coolants. Honestly I would have just stayed with the green coolant and left the fancy stuff at Cat. Same with your filters, the only way I would use theirs is if they are priced near Baldwin Wix or other quality filters.
As for manuals you can try the Cat dealers in the US, they may be cheaper, or search Google. These guys have them for many Cat machines but I could not find a 226, but you could ask at .http://www.repromanuals.com/search.php?mode=search&page=2
Also I could not find any on www.tradebit.com but have had good luck there in the past.
What 3 manuals, service, parts and operators? You likely only need the service. Most decent dealers will fax you parts break down should you need them.
The operators manual service info is likely duplicated in the service book and the rest will pretty much fall under the "don't be stupid and get yourself" hurt category.
Imo even at $900 the manuals would pay off pretty quick compared to visiting the dealer shop if you have any trouble.
Ken
www.skidsteer.ca

OP
OP
S

sdwatt

I don't believe you can mix the two coolants. Honestly I would have just stayed with the green coolant and left the fancy stuff at Cat. Same with your filters, the only way I would use theirs is if they are priced near Baldwin Wix or other quality filters.
As for manuals you can try the Cat dealers in the US, they may be cheaper, or search Google. These guys have them for many Cat machines but I could not find a 226, but you could ask at .http://www.repromanuals.com/search.php?mode=search&page=2
Also I could not find any on www.tradebit.com but have had good luck there in the past.
What 3 manuals, service, parts and operators? You likely only need the service. Most decent dealers will fax you parts break down should you need them.
The operators manual service info is likely duplicated in the service book and the rest will pretty much fall under the "don't be stupid and get yourself" hurt category.
Imo even at $900 the manuals would pay off pretty quick compared to visiting the dealer shop if you have any trouble.
Ken
www.skidsteer.ca
Thank you, I went out and bought the green stuff and made it right. I certainly would like the service and repair manual. But the price is staggering. I just want to start off on the right foot and get the service figured. My family had a little test when they hired a new operator and it pretty much works. If the new operator didn't check the fluids or grease the unit before starting it in the morning he was gone. Simple and effective. I live my life the same way. Service and maintain whatever it is that makes your paycheque possible. Even if that is your wife!!! haha Thank you for the reply. Sean

skidsteer.ca

Thank you, I went out and bought the green stuff and made it right. I certainly would like the service and repair manual. But the price is staggering. I just want to start off on the right foot and get the service figured. My family had a little test when they hired a new operator and it pretty much works. If the new operator didn't check the fluids or grease the unit before starting it in the morning he was gone. Simple and effective. I live my life the same way. Service and maintain whatever it is that makes your paycheque possible. Even if that is your wife!!! haha Thank you for the reply. Sean
I'm sure most of the service is not too specific to Cat, it will be like anyone else basic maintenace. Where the manual shine is if you have a problem, they really help you get to the bottom of it.
I too would be reluctant to lay out 900 for one, but going to the dealer for something you can fix yourself eats 900 up pretty quick too.
Keep checking around, these manual may surface on ebay, tradebit or elsewhere on the net as the cat machines get older. Do check a couple US dealers to as you may be surprized how high the exchange rate is for the dealer to bring it in from the US manufacturer. That is how it is with Bobcat at least. Some things are 30 to 50% more even though our dollar is worth more then their right now,
If you get a pdf copy let us know, we have Bobcat, Deere and NH manual available for download here at this point. Some have sold other members copys to offset the cost.
We are on the US border and can help you import items if need be.
Ken

Latest posts