Cat 289C Quick attach failing

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Chiller316

Just purchased a 2008 289c with quick attach. When using a GP bucket and loading weight on the tip or attempting to back drag, the bucket pops off of the quick attach. It looks like the pins slide up as if the springs are unable to hold tension on the pins. The pins extend fully when attaching the bucket and there is about 1/2" gap between the attachment plate and the bucket, but when you apply pressure to the tip, the gap grows and the pins slip up inside until the bucket pops off. I'm not quite sure what exactly the problem is or the cause of this. Any guidance on what we need to do to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

flyerdan

Is it the factory bucket or an aftermarket? I'm just thinking that if it's aftermarket, the bottom rail that holds the pins might be out just far enough for it to not grab fully.
If it's not the alignment, I'd be inclined to check the QA pins and see if there is something built up in their tracks that keep them from extending all the way down. Measure how far they extend now, then run a water hose to flush the tracks while cycling the mechanism several times and see if you get more distance. Or if it's not too involved, take the pins out and clean them and their tracks.

devo

Just purchased a 2008 289c with quick attach. When using a GP bucket and loading weight on the tip or attempting to back drag, the bucket pops off of the quick attach. It looks like the pins slide up as if the springs are unable to hold tension on the pins. The pins extend fully when attaching the bucket and there is about 1/2" gap between the attachment plate and the bucket, but when you apply pressure to the tip, the gap grows and the pins slip up inside until the bucket pops off. I'm not quite sure what exactly the problem is or the cause of this. Any guidance on what we need to do to fix it would be greatly appreciated.
Did you fix this issue? I'm having the same issue with my 287b. Thanks

devo

Can you please tell me if you fixed this issue and what you did to correct it. I'm having the same problem with a 2006 287b. Thanks

TinKettle

Can you please tell me if you fixed this issue and what you did to correct it. I'm having the same problem with a 2006 287b. Thanks
Devo, have you worked that out yet, my 279c is doing it as well. Even put new pins and springs in but didn't work

devo

Devo, have you worked that out yet, my 279c is doing it as well. Even put new pins and springs in but didn't work
Yes, I fixed it. I did the same things at first too including changing pins and linkages and welding worn out spots on the plate. None of that worked. I ended up just putting in half inch shims under both springs. I clamped and wired the springs closed to fit the steel shims, re-installed the springs and cut the wires. For shims I just used some old nuts and honed them out a bit, the nuts are about 3/8" thick. I Installed the shims at the bottom on top of the washer and under the spring (closest to the pin). Hope this helps. I have attached a picture looking down from the bucket at the springs.
20240308_233907.jpg

Last edited: