Cat 262 skid wont start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

cocatguy

Im having trouble finding out why my cat 262 skid wont start . The starter checked out fine, turns over, black smoke comes out, but will not start. Also changed fuel filters , and had fuel in them. Anyone have suggestions? Thank you

OldMachinist

Black smoke is too much fuel. I'd start with checking for a air intake restriction(maybe clogged air filter) next would be injectors and then injection pump problems.

OP
OP
C

cocatguy

Black smoke is too much fuel. I'd start with checking for a air intake restriction(maybe clogged air filter) next would be injectors and then injection pump problems.
Checked the filter, was dirty but not real bad. I also noticed that the starter seems to be dragging, like its having a hard time turning. I removed the starter and took it in and it tested good. The fuel shut off fuse is good. Also has new battery cables.

Tazza

Staff member
Checked the filter, was dirty but not real bad. I also noticed that the starter seems to be dragging, like its having a hard time turning. I removed the starter and took it in and it tested good. The fuel shut off fuse is good. Also has new battery cables.
Black smoke while cranking is a bit odd. Its usually white, being un-burnt fuel.
Ensure your battery is GOOD, if it cranks slow, you may not be getting the air charge hot enough to ignite the fuel. Even with glow plugs running flat out, without good cranking speed, it won't start.
As mentioned, you may have a pump or injector problem. Bad injectors will make black smoke when running.

OP
OP
C

cocatguy

Black smoke while cranking is a bit odd. Its usually white, being un-burnt fuel.
Ensure your battery is GOOD, if it cranks slow, you may not be getting the air charge hot enough to ignite the fuel. Even with glow plugs running flat out, without good cranking speed, it won't start.
As mentioned, you may have a pump or injector problem. Bad injectors will make black smoke when running.
The battery is good, just bought new today, and checked the charge to make sure it was good. I was told to try and turn motor over with socket, does not turn. Was also told that if it doesnt turn it could be a hydraulic pump. If pump is out, could it stop motor from turning over? Beginning to think that the motor is shot, which would not be good. I would like to thank you both for helping me with this problem.

OldMachinist

The battery is good, just bought new today, and checked the charge to make sure it was good. I was told to try and turn motor over with socket, does not turn. Was also told that if it doesnt turn it could be a hydraulic pump. If pump is out, could it stop motor from turning over? Beginning to think that the motor is shot, which would not be good. I would like to thank you both for helping me with this problem.
I don't know how the aux hydraulics work on a Caterpiller machine but on a Bobcat if they are on when you try to start it will do what you describe.

Latest posts