Cat 246 died... will crank and fire but not run

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

Paradigm

Im new to this forum and looking for some help. I have a 2000 Cat 246 with around 800 hrs. Yesterday I started my machine up just fine, let it warm up and started to move some snow. After about 20 mins it just shut down on me... no sputtering or gradual power loss- just total shutdown. It showed about 1/8 tank of fuel. I checked hyd oil level and it was low, so I added oil and 5gal of diesel. Drained the oil/water seperator cup and tried to start it up. It fires fine but as soon as I let off the key it dies. If I keep the key turned it will run (engine sounds fine, I can take the P brake off, move the machine, joysticks work etc) but as soon as I let off the key and it moves to the run position it dies. I hate to do this because it seems like Im overridding the system and keeping the starter engaged the whole time. Plus its hard to do anything with one hand manually holding the key in the crank position, and if it is a safety shut down- then I dont want to 'drive around the stop arms and get hit by the train!' Not sure if there is a low hyd oil level sensor that is shutting down the electrical system, or if it could be a electrical problem, ignition or what? Im new to this forum, young, and not real familiar with diesel engine systems... but I love to learn new things everyday and am fairly mechanically minded. Any help or troubleshooting tricks any of you could direct me towards would be greatly appreciated. thanks and God Bless

Tazza

Staff member
What type of shutdown solenoid does it run? is there a round coil that pulls a lever back to let the engine run? Generally near the injector pump.
I'm wondering if your coil is burnt out. They have 2 coils, one is pull one is hold. Pull works when you crank, hold works when the key is in the run position. If the hold coil is broken, it will not stay running when you aren't cranking the engine.
Its a possibility, not sure if yours has this setup or not though.

skidsteer.ca

What type of shutdown solenoid does it run? is there a round coil that pulls a lever back to let the engine run? Generally near the injector pump.
I'm wondering if your coil is burnt out. They have 2 coils, one is pull one is hold. Pull works when you crank, hold works when the key is in the run position. If the hold coil is broken, it will not stay running when you aren't cranking the engine.
Its a possibility, not sure if yours has this setup or not though.
Or your fuel cut off solinoid may get power from crank circuit as well as the run circuit on the key. And the run circuit is now faulty and not supplying power. What happens if you hook a 12 volt power wire to the solinoid on the injection pump? will it stay running then?
Ken

OP
OP
P

Paradigm

Or your fuel cut off solinoid may get power from crank circuit as well as the run circuit on the key. And the run circuit is now faulty and not supplying power. What happens if you hook a 12 volt power wire to the solinoid on the injection pump? will it stay running then?
Ken
I got it running again. I think it was just a blown fuse. still not sure what would have caused that- but glad it was a cheap fix! a couple of low fluid levels along with single digit temperatures made for some tricky trouble shooting- but glad its back up and ready to work. Thank you for your help