Case 430 high altitude issues

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

sidewaysboy

Just purchased a 2007 430 with 190 hrs. I live at 9,000 ft elevation, the unit seems to backfire/miss when it is put under a load. Puffs out pretty dark when it mis-fires. Unit has a new fuel filter, treated fuel. Is there some kind of adjustment for high altitude? I noticed that in the case parts manual there is reference to a mis-fire upgrade kit, what is it and do I need it. Thanks for your help

skidsteer.ca

Unit is a Diesel 4.5 liter non-turbo. Air filter is brand new and clean.
Sorry no idea on the mis fire kit. Never heard of such a thing. You may have to ask you Case dealer on this one. A naurally aspirated engine will tend to trun rich at those altitudes, do you have any idea if this may have already been compensated for? A turbo would have been a better choice for hi altitude but yours still shouldn't mis. Wonder if it could be a bad injector? Does it smoke when run at a idle sitting still? Or only when it is working hard at high rpm it misses? or always at high rpm? Can you work it at 3/4 throttle and have it run ok.
Ken

Tazza

Staff member
Sorry no idea on the mis fire kit. Never heard of such a thing. You may have to ask you Case dealer on this one. A naurally aspirated engine will tend to trun rich at those altitudes, do you have any idea if this may have already been compensated for? A turbo would have been a better choice for hi altitude but yours still shouldn't mis. Wonder if it could be a bad injector? Does it smoke when run at a idle sitting still? Or only when it is working hard at high rpm it misses? or always at high rpm? Can you work it at 3/4 throttle and have it run ok.
Ken
I don't understand it either, i cant see a diesel having a problem running rich or lean as it draws in the same air charge every time unlike petrol engines that use a butterfly to limit the air coming in..The only difference is the amount of fuel that the injectors spray into the air charge. I thought the only difference would be the idle and top speeds may be lower.
I wonder if it could be a simple excess fuel adjustment on the engine, these are factory set but at high altitudes they may need adjusting? a call to your local dealer may clear that up?

goose

There have been some issues with the injection pump tinging on the 430 machines were they miss at full throttle. You will have to have a dealer check the timing sinse there are some special tools required and the procedure to do it is a little complicated. There also was a service bulletin about high alltitude problems. I couldnt find it on assist but can get it on monday when I get to work.

ksss

There have been some issues with the injection pump tinging on the 430 machines were they miss at full throttle. You will have to have a dealer check the timing sinse there are some special tools required and the procedure to do it is a little complicated. There also was a service bulletin about high alltitude problems. I couldnt find it on assist but can get it on monday when I get to work.
I have had the same issues when running between 9-10K feet with a 440. It turned out the fuel was leaned out too much. The temp. was minus 30-40 below zero. Unknowningly to me the diesel I was filling up in my tank in the back of my truck was straight 1. I thought it was blended 2. I then further mixed it with Amsoil deicer. Needless to say it would miss, run rough. I took the machine off the mountain, ran a couple tanks of straight #2 through it and it was fine.