case 1845C wont start

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

zomowiec

It died a week ago like it run out of fuel. Took out the filter and there was rust inside, turned the key with out the filter and checked if fuel pump works, it works fine. Put new filter on but it wont start. Used a little of starting fluid and it fires right up but dies after starting fluid burns out.

Tazza

Staff member
You will need to re-prime the injector pump. Get the air out of the system, there shoul dbe a bleed screw somewhere.....
Don't use starting fluid on a diesel, it will damage the engine.

OP
OP
Z

zomowiec

You will need to re-prime the injector pump. Get the air out of the system, there shoul dbe a bleed screw somewhere.....
Don't use starting fluid on a diesel, it will damage the engine.
Thanks I know about the starting fluid but this was the only thing to check if everything is working properly.

frogfarmer

Thanks I know about the starting fluid but this was the only thing to check if everything is working properly.
You need to bleed the filter then the injection pump and then loosen the injector lines at the injectors. The injector lines are the hard lines from the pump to each injector not the lines that run from injector to injector for the excess fuel to return to the tank. Some of the pumps have two bleeders some have one. With the filter and pump full of fuel and the injector lines loose you have a helper crank the engine until you get a strong pulse of fuel at the injectors and tighten the lines. If everything is right it will start and should continue to run. Get rid of the starting fluid it has no place in todays diesels that $5 can WILL cause $5000 worth of damage.

OP
OP
Z

zomowiec

You need to bleed the filter then the injection pump and then loosen the injector lines at the injectors. The injector lines are the hard lines from the pump to each injector not the lines that run from injector to injector for the excess fuel to return to the tank. Some of the pumps have two bleeders some have one. With the filter and pump full of fuel and the injector lines loose you have a helper crank the engine until you get a strong pulse of fuel at the injectors and tighten the lines. If everything is right it will start and should continue to run. Get rid of the starting fluid it has no place in todays diesels that $5 can WILL cause $5000 worth of damage.
Thanks for the help I got it to run for over twenty seconds now but it seems that my lift pump is shut. It does pump diesel when you crank the motor but when i try to use the hand pump it seems like first two pumps i can feel some pressure and than nothing i could pump forever and nothing is happening.

Tazza

Staff member
Thanks for the help I got it to run for over twenty seconds now but it seems that my lift pump is shut. It does pump diesel when you crank the motor but when i try to use the hand pump it seems like first two pumps i can feel some pressure and than nothing i could pump forever and nothing is happening.
Have you opened the bleed screw? its normal for them to feel tight for the first few pumps then nothing if its not open for the fuel to move. The bobcat system is very handy for this, its simply an inline hand primer. Squeeze the bulb and open the bleed screw. When its firm and you can't hear of feel bubbles, close it off. You may want to install one of these in your fuel line?

OP
OP
Z

zomowiec

Have you opened the bleed screw? its normal for them to feel tight for the first few pumps then nothing if its not open for the fuel to move. The bobcat system is very handy for this, its simply an inline hand primer. Squeeze the bulb and open the bleed screw. When its firm and you can't hear of feel bubbles, close it off. You may want to install one of these in your fuel line?
would you guys change the lift pump, i have weird feeling that something is not wright with it and its only $36 and easy to change. I disconnected fuel lines from the injectors and tried to pump the lift pump but nothing was coming out than i cranked the motor for two second and some fuel came out. When i try to bleed by the banjo connector by the fuel filter there is no air bubbles i cant locate any bleeding screws on the pump.

Tazza

Staff member
would you guys change the lift pump, i have weird feeling that something is not wright with it and its only $36 and easy to change. I disconnected fuel lines from the injectors and tried to pump the lift pump but nothing was coming out than i cranked the motor for two second and some fuel came out. When i try to bleed by the banjo connector by the fuel filter there is no air bubbles i cant locate any bleeding screws on the pump.
The reason you get fuel at the injecor lines when you crank is because this is generated by the engine cranking over. The lift pump supplies fuel to the high pressure pump, fuel will not simply flow out of these lines with the lift pump pressure. There are one way valves that prevent fuel pushing past at lift pump pressure.
As you mention no bubbles at the banjo fitting, it sounds like the pump is primed....