Case 1845C weak on one side

Help Support SkidSteer Forum:

patrickg

I have a Case 1845C and the right side has become more and more weak. When I first crank the skidsteer I can do whatever I want with plenty of power. After a while the right side will become less and less powerful. The left side will never lose power after working it all day. Is anybody familiar with what the problem is?

OP
OP
P

patrickg

... also it whines really bad when the right side starts slowing down. The left side will never whine and the tires will never stop spinning or lose power.

Tazza

Staff member
... also it whines really bad when the right side starts slowing down. The left side will never whine and the tires will never stop spinning or lose power.
It sounds like you may have a problem with your pump, as the oil warms up it becomes thinner allowing it to squeeze through any scores in the valve plate in the pump. You can confirm this by swapping drive motors and see of the problem swaps sides, if it does its your motor but if not its your pump. It could be seals in the drive motor too, but the noise makes me suspect the pump.
Have you changed the filters?

OP
OP
P

patrickg

It sounds like you may have a problem with your pump, as the oil warms up it becomes thinner allowing it to squeeze through any scores in the valve plate in the pump. You can confirm this by swapping drive motors and see of the problem swaps sides, if it does its your motor but if not its your pump. It could be seals in the drive motor too, but the noise makes me suspect the pump.
Have you changed the filters?
It is up to date on maintenance. I will go ahead and change the filters tomorrow. The light for the hydraulic filter is not on. How long do you think it will take to swap the drive motors? I am mechanically inclined and do all the work on my cars, boats, and tractors. Also, is there anything else that is relatively inexpensive and could be causing the problem? The whine seems to come from the right side of the skid steer. Thanks for your help! I am anxious to get my machine back to the way it was when I bought it.

OP
OP
P

patrickg

It is up to date on maintenance. I will go ahead and change the filters tomorrow. The light for the hydraulic filter is not on. How long do you think it will take to swap the drive motors? I am mechanically inclined and do all the work on my cars, boats, and tractors. Also, is there anything else that is relatively inexpensive and could be causing the problem? The whine seems to come from the right side of the skid steer. Thanks for your help! I am anxious to get my machine back to the way it was when I bought it.
It is a 1998 I doubt these problems are related, but the parking brake has never worked. I never worried about it because I would just put the bucket down and it won't go anywhere. I am glad I don't live in the mountains!

goose

It is a 1998 I doubt these problems are related, but the parking brake has never worked. I never worried about it because I would just put the bucket down and it won't go anywhere. I am glad I don't live in the mountains!
It sounds like you have a weak drive motor. Check the case drain on the weak side and see what you get for case drain. Also have you replaced any drive motor hoses latley on the weak side?

OP
OP
P

patrickg

It sounds like you have a weak drive motor. Check the case drain on the weak side and see what you get for case drain. Also have you replaced any drive motor hoses latley on the weak side?
I haven't replaced any drive motor hoses lately. I really think it is the worst case scenario that the drive motor is going bad. Any idea how much just the right side drive motor will cost to get replace or get rebuilt? Also, I am not around my machine today, so I couldn't check it out. If a filter was clogged, wouldn't that cause both sides to operate slowly?

Tazza

Staff member
I haven't replaced any drive motor hoses lately. I really think it is the worst case scenario that the drive motor is going bad. Any idea how much just the right side drive motor will cost to get replace or get rebuilt? Also, I am not around my machine today, so I couldn't check it out. If a filter was clogged, wouldn't that cause both sides to operate slowly?
I have never pulled a motor on a case, but it should be 3 hoses and 4 bolts. It then should slide out. As you see i said *should* hopefully it isn't a big job. If its found to be a motor, I'd pull it down and check the seals, they can go bad and let oil by-pass causing lack of drive power.

goose

Yes if the filters were plugged it would affect both side. Check the case drain to rule out the pumps.As far as a new motor they run about $1500.00 through Case. About half of the time you can get them rebuilt. The seal kit is about $120.00 +2 hours labor to rebuild and 2 hours to remove the motor. Our Sunstrand dealer has new motors for about $850.00 but they will only sell to dealers.

OP
OP
P

patrickg

Yes if the filters were plugged it would affect both side. Check the case drain to rule out the pumps.As far as a new motor they run about $1500.00 through Case. About half of the time you can get them rebuilt. The seal kit is about $120.00 +2 hours labor to rebuild and 2 hours to remove the motor. Our Sunstrand dealer has new motors for about $850.00 but they will only sell to dealers.
I have an excellent local hydraulics company. I was going to pull the drive motor and take it to them. They can check it out and tell me if it is the problem. It seems like pulling the motor is going to be harder than I was originally thinking. The nuts that hold the motor on spin with the bolts (or studs?).